Fermentation high heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Fog

Reaction score
Hi guys, just need a bit of advice on to what to do with a couple of brews under fermentation...
I put down 2 brews 2 days ago, 1an IPA and a BLACK IPA, they were both in a coolroom that was set to 22deg. I went in there today anf it was pretty hot and the temp of the wort was around 34degC, my cool room poopy itself, anyway yesterday they were both bubbling like mad, the black IPA so much I had to change to a tube air lock... today NOTHING....
I have never really had a ferment reach that temp, will it be ruined?
Cheers guys

It's might not be ruined, but I'd guess you are going to have some pretty...... exotic smells and flavours going on in there. Get it back down to normal fermentation temp, take a grav reading, and if it's done, give it a few extra days to get over this truly awful experience, and taste it. If it's ok, bottle/keg it. If not pour it on the lemon tree!

It's might not be ruined, but I'd guess you are going to have some pretty...... exotic smells and flavours going on in there. Get it back down to normal fermentation temp, take a grav reading, and if it's done, give it a few extra days to get over this truly awful experience, and taste it. If it's ok, bottle/keg it. If not pour it on the lemon tree!
Thanks mate, ive got 1 in a kegerator so ill get a reading today and see how we go... [emoji106]

Can i hijack this post? I did a brew on Friday. Didn't use my spider filter in the boil. Big mistake. it clogged up my bazooka filter and made the cooling super problematic. Result, wort added to fermentator at something over 40 degrees. The fermentor fridge did it's best to lower this temp before i added the yeast at around 39 degrees (yes i know wayyyyyyy toooo hot, but it was already pitched and getting later. Didn't want to leave the pitched yeast in the cup all night - lesson learnt).

Anywho took hydrometer readings yesterday, surprise surprise no change in gravity. Yeast got cooked. Took another this morning, no change that i can tell. Bought more yeast (british ale yeast) and about to pitch it, but notice the fermentor is bubbling like crazy now. Perhaps i didn't fry the yeast, it just had a long lag time and is now going. Suggestions? Pitch a bit of yeast anyway and add it? or just leave the fermentor?

Thanks
Hawk

Smell it, if it smells ok then all is well. If it smells bad, nothing can save it.

Latest posts

Back