Fermentation Help Please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
Hey brewers, just a quick question (I searched the forum first);
At the moment I have two stouts that have finished fermenting, one is coffee the other chocolate, I have spare kegs to put them in but no spare space to put them in the fridge to keep them cold and I would like to start fermenting a Vienna Lager @ 12 degrees.
Would it be better to leave them in the fermenters in the fermentation fridge @ 12 degrees or pull them out and transfer to keg and store them in the coolest part of my house?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers Ben

Probably fine in the coolest part of your house, what temperature is that?

They are also fine to leave in the fridge at 12 degrees, it will be similar to cold conditioning, although if you are wanting them to 'clean up' the yeast wont be very active at this temperature.

How long have they been fermenting for? If you are just leaving them to clean-up, leaving out of the fridge would be my pick.

They have been fermenting since the 17th of August @ 18 degrees.
In my garage it is under 10 degrees all the time.

Hey brewers, just a quick question (I searched the forum first);
At the moment I have two stouts that have finished fermenting, one is coffee the other chocolate, I have spare kegs to put them in but no spare space to put them in the fridge to keep them cold and I would like to start fermenting a Vienna Lager @ 12 degrees.
Would it be better to leave them in the fermenters in the fermentation fridge @ 12 degrees or pull them out and transfer to keg and store them in the coolest part of my house?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers Ben

I bulk prime at half of my bottling rate straight into 18 litre kegs and let them carb naturally in a coolish place. No different from bottle conditioning. When your ready to serve them they will already be carbed and conditioned, and all you will need to do is attach gas to push beer through your lines.

I think this will solve your problem with great results.

Hey Muscovy thanks for the suggestion, I have never bottled from the fermenter only from the keg, how do I bulk prime?

There will be plenty of searchable info on bulk priming, there is a different rate of sugar to use than bottle because of head space difference.

I would purge the keg really well to minimise oxidising your beer, perhaps fill it with starsan or hot boiled water and blow that out with CO2.

Back