Fermentation Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
I've already seen a couple of examples on this and other home brew sites of fermentation fridges, so that (presumably) the brew is the right temperature all the time without worrying all the time (like I do) about heating pads, keeping the temperature right using unreliable means, etc etc.

What do you use for this?

I've got a fermentation fridge which I use in summer. I use an external thermostat that the fridge plugs into and it switches the fridge off and on according to the temp that is set on the thermostat, which for ales is usually around 20c.
I use a Gro Warm thermostat which cost me about $90. Works great.
In winter I stick with heating belts.

Pretty much the same deal as Thunderlips.

I've got 2 fridges... 1 fermentation/conditioning & the other for serving. I use the Adloheat capiliary thermostats. They're about $100 these days. Oldest one is about 6 years and still going well.

In winter I just use a dedicated wooden cabinet with a lightbulb for heat. That said I find brewing in summer easier with the fridge. Seems to give you a more precise sense of control. :beerbang:

Warren -

Just a regular old fridge with a heat pad mounted in it. I control both with seperate thermostats. This is so I can use them in seperate location which I require at times.

Iused the Tobin's thermostat which was $38. Mounted it in a project box like many others. I have only ever had one or the other connected at any time but I guess I could connect both at once if required.

Is there a difference between using a freezer as compared to a fridge. I have a Gro-Warm thermostat for my fridge and I have the opportunity of getting a good upright freezer to use as well. Is there a difference in the compressors? Like would a freezer using a gro-warm thermostat be able to come up to a temp of 12 deg. c. for lagers? What would be a high level operating temp for a freezer?

Hogan.

Hogan said:
Is there a difference between using a freezer as compared to a fridge. I have a Gro-Warm thermostat for my fridge and I have the opportunity of getting a good upright freezer to use as well. Is there a difference in the compressors? Like would a freezer using a gro-warm thermostat be able to come up to a temp of 12 deg. c. for lagers? What would be a high level operating temp for a freezer?

Hogan.
[post="77984"][/post]​

You should have no troubles achieving those temps. Your external thermostat will just turn the freezer on or off as required. Remember your compressor does not try to run at 12C. You set the internal thermostat for as cold as it will go then set your external for 12C. Your external will turn when it gets too warm and off when it is at temp.

Hogan, this seems to be the proverbial can of worms. I have come to the considered opinion that most refrigeration techs know absolutely nothing about the science behind their trade, and rely on a mix of misinformation, myth, schoolyard rumour, superstition, machismo and profit.

Some say that a freezer compressor doesn't like to operate at warmer temperatures (but they can't say why).

Some say that a freezer is just a fridge with better insulation and a different thermostat.

Eiether way, there are brewers all over the world using freezers as ferm fridges. Some say their freezers died rapidly, others claim to have been using the same one since the war.

If there are any fridge techs who want to offer something here speak up, but be prepared for cross-examination.

Hogan,
I am currently using a tuckerbox chest freezer with a growarm controller as a ferment fridge. It is comfortably sitting on 10 deg with a pilsner going along nicely. I haven't seen any problems with the freezer. If you think about it the compressor is doing a lot less work as it is only keeping the temp at 10-20 deg instead of minus 20 deg. Maybe its a bit like having a car sitting in the shed for years and never running it. Maybe the compressor needs a longer run time to keep it healthy.

cheers
:beer:
Mothballs

Good point Mothballs. Thanks for your input Aaron & Wortgames. Guess the best way is to suck it and see.

Hogan.

Back