Fermentation Chambers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattric

Reaction score
With summer around the corner I was wondering if people could post what they use for their fermentation chambers and finding a fridge that will fit a fermenter is starting to be a PITA.

What do you use to keep you yeast happy?

With summer around the corner I was wondering if people could post what they use for their fermentation chambers and finding a fridge that will fit a fermenter is starting to be a PITA.

Are you really having trouble finding a fridge to fit your fermenter? I have three and all fit them... If you can only source a little bar fridge you may need to switch to the jerry can style fermenter as it is narrow and fits nicely in the small bar fridge... Almost all normal sized fridges fit the normal fermenters.
99% of people here would use fridges... A fermentation chamber would be a massive PITA compared to a fridge.

I have a fridge at home yet it won't fit a cooper fermenter.

What fridge do you use for you fermenter? Have any pics?

I whacked together a 2m rectangle box with 2 inch thick sides filled with insulation bats.
Probably cost me ~100 all up. Will be interesting to see how she works come summer, she will be cooled using a fan/radiator/brown pump that pumps water from a cube in the kegerator next to it.

It holds 4x 30l cubes / 2x 60l & 2x 30l / 3x 60l

quote name='mattric' date='Aug 29 2012, 11:24 PM' post='949167']
I have a fridge at home yet it won't fit a cooper fermenter.

What fridge do you use for you fermenter? Have any pics?
[/quote]

Hey mate, here is a pic of my fridge family... (the rich cousin, the Keggerator, lives inside and so does the black sheep of the family, the food fridge)

The two bigger ones fit the normal 30 ltr fermenters easily but I have never used a coopers one so can't comment.

Seeing as you already have a fridge you may want to just change your fermenter instead of the fridge... the one pictured here is from BCF I think but you can get them at bunnings, super cheap and heaps of other places... they are just water jerry cans.

You next step is that you'll need a temp controller... if you're not sure about that search for STC-1000 and you'll get unlimited info on them.

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

There are "son of fermentor" or "Son of Fermentation" chillers out there. Here is the plans for one. I would ask around who uses them and for how long they have used them. For the first couple of months remembering to change the ice daily (or more often?) would be ok, but then would become a big drama after a while. What happens if you want to ferment on a weekend/week where you are going away? Then what happens to all the condensation form the ice bottles? mould? For the cost of the build, you can source a cheap old fridge and once setup will last many years of service, with the feature of press a button to set and forget.

QldKev

Swapping ice gets old real quick - I have a 200 ltr esky and tried to ferment in that when I first started, bought a fridge within a fortnight <_< . You'll find some super cheap ones on Gumtree - like this one. Fridge only is awesome, you can get two in there :chug:

I got a 250L fridge on ebay for $100, I'm sure I could have found one cheaper if I was more patient. I think I could fit two fermenters in there (top / bottom shelves) if I really wanted to.

Can someone point me in the direction of a thread talking of using jerry cans as fermenters?

Do you just syphon when you rack to your kegs... never thought of using a jerry but sounds like a pretty good idea!

Any negatives?
Cheers,

Damien

I use one like this too:

photo1.JPG

If you remove the door lining you can just fit a 30l fermenter in.

Can someone point me in the direction of a thread talking of using jerry cans as fermenters?

Do you just syphon when you rack to your kegs... never thought of using a jerry but sounds like a pretty good idea!

Any negatives?
Cheers,

Damien

HERE

Hey mate, here is a pic of my fridge family...

Wow you must do big starters if that is your stirplate device on the left! Or do you put the fermenter in it to rouse the yeast during stuck ferments?
:D

Edit: referring to 2nd picture.

Wow you must do big starters if that is your stirplate device on the left! Or do you put the fermenter in it to rouse the yeast during stuck ferments?
:D

Edit: referring to 2nd picture.

I always thought I was supposed to aerate the wort??? I just pour it in there and turn it on for 5 mins and it comes out nice and aerated and hot enought to get the yeast moving quickly :ph34r:

I always thought I was supposed to aerate the wort??? I just pour it in there and turn it on for 5 mins and it comes out nice and aerated and hot enought to get the yeast moving quickly :ph34r:

Be good if your making a dry beer :D

Any negatives?
Cheers,

Damien

A lot of camping water jerry cans have provision for a tap... I agree with other posters... if you've got a fridge change ur fermenter to suit. Simple and cheap.

Holy crap! thats exactly what I want... what make/model is it?
It's a Kelvinator 331 Trimline.

It's the fridge only of a pigeon pair, picked it up off Ebay for $50. Took me ages to get one that would take two Coopers fermenters without being massive.

Absolutely love it. Only drawback is it struggles a little bit when I crash chill at 2deg. For this reason, if I ever replace this I'll try to get a freezer only.

Let me know if you need more info.

Have a pair of bar fridges, non workers with the compressors etc removed, upside down, and regulate the temp by placing frozen bottles of water in with the fermenter,

After a bit of experience have learnt how to keep temp between 18-21degC.

It's a Kelvinator 331 Trimline.
I just looked and mine is a 332 Trimline.

It was more expensive than I wanted and I had to wait 'til it came up, but I have never looked back. I used to use my 550L or whatever it is (now keg fridge) and it turned the freezer into a fantastic dedicated mould incubator during warm weather.

Latest posts

Back