FERMENTASAURUS - re suing yeast with trub bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I put a RIS in the Fermentasaurus ans used a trub bottle from a previous ferment (20 ltr starter :) ). When I opened the lid (RIS already in fermenter) the gas started to escape so I closed the lid. I repeated this multiple times. At the end I just opened it to let it pour into the top of the fermenter.

Well that was a mistake, I had Trub everywhere. I only hope some of it made it into the fermenter.

The beer (in trub bottle) smelt ok, I was using a US05, I think I removed the bottle pre-ferment complete as I was adding a new bottle with Dry Hops.

Has anyone else had this happen ?

cheers
Matt

I’ve tipped the whole thing in trub and all after 10 days and all went well.
Then I decided for us05 at $5 a pack is it worth it?
For a more expensive yeast I can see the point

If you wash the yeast this wont happen. When the yeast has been washed it stores easily and doesn't burst out of the container when you open it.

I have used the sludge from the bottle with good success (us 05 as well) but won't bother again for $5 worth of yeast.

For liquid yeasts I over build a starter so I have approx 100b cells more than required.i decante this and save for next time, I think it's far easier to do that than wash the yeast.

Back