Fermentasaurus hydrometer tips

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Nickgaz

Reaction score
Hi there fellow brewers,

Long time AHB trauler, first time poster. So many HB pearls of wisdom and recipes over the years, so cheers to that.

I am using my fermentasaurus for the fist time after upgrading from the standard barrel fermenter.
Mistake: I drained the chilled wort into the fermentasaurus and pitched yeast without taking a gravity reading. And not super confident using the butterfly valve. Normally not a problem with a barrel as it has the plastic tap that is easy to manage the flow.

Not super concerned to know the ABV, however I want to avoid exploding bottles so need to know when it's done. Once the trub and hops settle out towards the end of the brew how to I take the final gravity readings.

Any tips for taking efficient fermentasaurus hydrometer readings from the AHB experts? Couldn't find anything on their website or google

Cheers
Nick

Peter80

Reaction score
You can just crack open the valve open with the racking hose adaptor installed and then fill up a small glass / jar. You do not need to turn the valve around 180 degrees and instead just turn the valve back to the lock position, just check that it has sealed well I do this sometimes if I am dumping trub / yeast. Remember to spray with sanitiser before using to be on the safe side. Test out a process over a large container if you can to minimise the dreaded beer spill.

Hope this helps.

Nickgaz

Reaction score
You can just crack open the valve open with the racking hose adaptor installed and then fill up a small glass / jar. You do not need to turn the valve around 180 degrees and instead just turn the valve back to the lock position, just check that it has sealed well I do this sometimes if I am dumping trub / yeast. Remember to spray with sanitiser before using to be on the safe side. Test out a process over a large container if you can to minimise the dreaded beer spill.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Peter, good to know the butterfly can be returned. I'll give this a go and pray for no dreaded beer spills!

Probably a good idea to do a dry run with new HB equipment. Lesson learned

meathead

Reaction score
I've got one of these and often wondered the same thing.
Would leaving a sanitised hydrometer in the wort work?

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
I've got one of these and often wondered the same thing.
Would leaving a sanitised hydrometer in the wort work?
Krausen will attach & dry onto the hydrometer, affecting its reading. Not sure by how much however.