Ferment lager with ale yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ale yeast will ferment the wort, using an ale yeast will make an ale, using a lager yeast at low temperatures and storing cold for an extended time will make a lager

Or for 3 deg less you can go with this.
Neutral as Switzerland.

1674889882392.jpeg

When I started out brewing I had a play with a Pilsner SMaSH recipe where did the same brew a few times but I only changed the yeast. When using an ale yeast the flavour profile of the Pilsner malt and Saaz hops did not really work together all that well. I made beer, but it was just a little underwhelming. Still drank it tho so it was definitely not the end of the world.

If you don’t have temp control and you want to use the ale yeast I say go for it.

It depends what you're trying to do. If you're trying to get as close to a lager as possible, but can't get the low temperature then use a lager yeast. Fermentis W34/70 is a very forgiving lager yeast that'll ferment nicely into the 20s Centigrade. It won't be as crisp as a cold-fermented beer and it'll give you some ale-like esters, but there won't be any off-flavours from the yeast. You'll need to store the beer so it can mature- just like a lager.
Alternatively look at recipes for "pseudo-lager" using "California Lager" yeasts like MJ M54. I tried this and now regularly make a brew hopped with NZ Nectaron. It's interesing in that when it's slightly chilled, you could almost think it's a lager and when it's a bit warmer, say 10-12C, it tastes like a summer ale. MJ54 conditions the beer quicker than W34/70 but still benefits from a month in the bottle. As for my regular lagers, I don't even look at them until the've been packages for 6 months. As long as they ferment and start their conditioning cold, it doesn't matter if they warm up a bit in the spring and summer.

Make your lager kit with ale yeast and if anyone asks, just lie to them. Most won't know the difference or care.

Latest posts

Back