Ferm Wrap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen or used one of these before?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FermWrap-110v-Heat...3#ht_2376wt_790
I know they are 110v but that's not really an issue.

Haven't used one but have been researching flexible heaters as possible heat source for mash recirculation.

The main makers seem to be Omega and Minco in the US. Some useful info on their websites:

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsectionSC....mp;book=Heaters
http://www.minco.com/products/heaters.aspx?id=42

Several different technologies, voltages etc. available.

(After searching, very few posts on this topic found on HB forums here and OS)

I use a DIY fermwrap, made from a sheet of 240v flexwatt (basically exactly the same material as the fermwrap). Bought the parts from the US via ebay, put it together myself. I have just started to get back into brewing after a long break and I'm loving It.

IIRC there was a DIY guide for making your own but I can't find it via google ATM.

There isn't many safety features on it though, the bare metal connections on one end of the sheet are just covered in electrical tape, lots of electrical tape.

I use a DIY fermwrap, made from a sheet of 240v flexwatt (basically exactly the same material as the fermwrap). Bought the parts from the US via ebay, put it together myself. I have just started to get back into brewing after a long break and I'm loving It.

IIRC there was a DIY guide for making your own but I can't find it via google ATM.

There isn't many safety features on it though, the bare metal connections on one end of the sheet are just covered in electrical tape, lots of electrical tape.

Do you use it on a recirc device or as a heat source for the fv?

Welcome back man, why the time off? Been a bad boy or just brewed yourself into a corner?

I am thinking about getting two sets of these motorcycle grip warmers, having had a set on my old GTR-1000 I know they work a treat, being 12V makes them pretty safe and a basic power supply coupled to my STC-1000 would control them well.

Lay them out on a piece of yoga mat or something and glue them on should be fine and cannot beat the price for $11 including shipping!

If you are after something that is similar to a fermwrap for keeping temps stable in winter, go take a look at a waterbed heater.

Clicky

Attach it to a fridgemate, stc1000 or similar and it really works a dream

They pop up on ebay all the time for modest money.

Not enough grunt for the guy looking for a heater for mash recirculation though

Do you use it on a recirc device or as a heat source for the fv?

Welcome back man, why the time off? Been a bad boy or just brewed yourself into a corner?
Just as a heating pad for the FV, wrap it around the FV and it applies heat over the whole surface. I don't think flexwatt likes getting up into mash temperatures, so I'm not sure it would work for recircing.

As for the brewing, just too busy really, and with making full size batches I had more beer in my fridge than I could keep up with.

I bought a bunch of 10L jerry's to switch to making half size batches, so I can drink less and brew more/more variety.

Back