feral hop hog clone ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphstralph

Reaction score
just wondering if any one has come across a feral hop hog clone ? love that beer :chug:

I was in the brewery and asked one of the girls behind the bar what hops they used for the hop hog.

She told me it was all Galaxy...................

She then proceeded to tell me that depending on how long you roast the hops it varies the colour of the beer :huh:

So that may not be of much help :D

Haha. At least she was trying?

I go in there pretty regularly, most of the staff are awesome. Actually, my experience is that they're all awesome, but the cynic in me forced me to write most just in case.

Was in there last night and had the Reuben sandwich and some of the Boris chili chicken wings... Damn! Such a good feed.

To answer your question though, no. I have no idea. Haha.

let the seach begin cheers for the info tho im sure something close will come up

In an attempt to keep this on topic, do you think that all Galaxy sounds right?

I don't have enough experience brewing with different hops to comment, but know that I like the beer.

I'd also be keen to see a clone recipe if anyone has one.

StalkingWilbur, maybe if you're in there again you could try and wheedle some information from them,

To be fair we were in on a Sunday afternoon and it was very busy, so the staff didn't have a lot of time to spare on stupid questions.

All galaxy? I think not.. There are a couple of threads already with good info in them..

Roasted hops? Bollox.

Roasted grain for colour, sure..

Yob said:
All galaxy? I think not.. There are a couple of threads already with good info in them..

Roasted hops? Bollox.

Roasted grain for colour, sure..

From the other thread.................

I know from inside info that the grist is:

97.5% Galaxy malt (Probably different now due to availability)
2.5% Caramunich I
mashed @ 67

So maybe she miss heard and was referring to the malt all along.........................

Personally I roast water.

Otherwise I'll roast pork belly and drink beer.

Ive done my first attempt at a hop hog clone with a bit of insider info to help me and the only thing that was slightly out was the aroma. The aroma actually changed during the dry hopping stage so my plan is to slightly change my dry hopping technique next time. Everything else, body, flavour, colour etc was spot on in a side by side test 3 of us did.

in regards to the galaxy comment, through research on other threads, it seems the rumour is that galaxy malt is used.

danestead said:
Ive done my first attempt at a hop hog clone with a bit of insider info to help me and the only thing that was slightly out was the aroma. The aroma actually changed during the dry hopping stage so my plan is to slightly change my dry hopping technique next time. Everything else, body, flavour, colour etc was spot on in a side by side test 3 of us did.

in regards to the galaxy comment, through research on other threads, it seems the rumour is that galaxy malt is used.
Personally I prefer East Kent Goldings malt!

Bro!
18g hallerteu 60mins
35 centennial 5mins
35 citra 5mins
25 galaxy 5mins
25 cascade 5mins

Dry hop all 4 flavour hops in secondary for 5 days after 5 days of primary.
Except go 18 18 15 15 respectively.

Can sub cascade and galaxy out for simcoe and Amarillo, feral do on seasonal basis.
She was probably talking about roasting the galaxy malt. U can sub that out for JW pale malt.

Anyone know a good yeast that won't strip the hop flavour for this brew?

Latest posts

Back