Fement At 6c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi All,
I put an Oktoberfest onto another yeast cake of my last Munich Helles (WYeast 2633). At first the temp was about 14, so I quickly tried to get it down as a Hydro sample I took started bubbling really quick, and I didnt want any ale flavours.
In doing this, the beer got down to about 6, and has been there overnight. Its bubbling like crazy. So Im wondering if its okay to ferment below the suggested temp range of 9-14C for the yeast if its got lots of activity Should I leave it or increase to say 9C.
What effect will fermenting this low have on the beer. More sulfur smell upfront? More Lagering time required?

Thanks,
Al

The first thing I'd ask is "where is it 6C?"

It's likely 6C on the outside, as these nights are getting cold down here, but in the fermenter it should be a little warmer due to the heat produced by fermentation.

Yeah Ill give a bit more info.
Its in a chest freezer with a thermostat stuck on the side of it (insulated around the sensor with newspaper). The thermostat was cooling the last beer at about 9C and I havent changed the settings.
When it was at 14C, I turned the freezer on for a while to cool it down without the thermostat. I figured if I used the thermostat, itd cool until the newspaper got down to 9C, then stop. Taking aged to get the temp down.

I was supprised at the temperature and the activity, so I drew some wort out to take the temp, and that was at 6C. It is at the bottom I guess, so the middle could be a bit warmer, but I wouldve thought the bubbles would increase the convection in the fermenter keeping the temp rather uniform. Probably wrong here though

If the whole fermenter is that cold, what would be the side effects.

Cheers
Al

...the side effects will be a nice clean crisp occy...if your grist/recipe is right you'll still have plenty of malt....leave it alone...

I'm not big on lagers and don't know what the yeast will throw at you, but you could find it stalls before finishing if you leave it that low. Maybe try and bring it up to 9-10C and keep it there. Starting it at 14C would've given it a boost though.

...the side effects will be a nice clean crisp occy...if your grist/recipe is right you'll still have plenty of malt....leave it alone...

Sweet, thought that'd be the case, but just wanted to make sure. Cheers

The recipe is based around the Brewing Classic Styles book. Had an awesome amber colour too.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 32.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU