Feijoa Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
600g short on pulp at the moment... My ******* geese decided they like feijoa's and nearly stripped all my trees while I was at work. There are a few up high that aren't rip yet, looks like I'll start putting it together next weekend instead!

saw some of these, in the harris farm in north stratfield on the weekend.

Any idea how much and where they can be bought?

Believe it or not, my local coles has them I just found out. The missus is very happy. Though she object to paying $1.80 each for them though!

Believe it or not, my local coles has them I just found out. The missus is very happy. Though she object to paying $1.80 each for them though!

Ahh, unfortunately they haven't selectively bred them to be hard tasteless crap, so they don't travel and store as well as modern tomatoes! Hence the high price.

I just saw them at my local coles...

feijoacoles.jpg

I fed the ones that looked like these to the geese! At that price, I've used about $1000 worth :p

Ok, I've finished step one, everything is in a bucket which I mix up twice a day. Just thinking though, I've used honey instead of sugar, so I'm essentially making a feijoa melomel. Are there any mead masters here who can advise me on method from here? The recipe suggest straining after a few days of mixing them pitching yeast? But for mead (and other fruit wine recipes I've read) it says leave the fruit in during primary fermentation then strain? Suggestions? Reasons why I shouldn't leave the fruit in during primary fermentation?

I just think I'll get a stronger feijoa flavour if the yeasties work directly on the fruit pulp as well as the juice I've released? Right?

Cheers!

I shucked 4kg of feijoa's today and got 1.8kg of pulp. So it seems you get a little less than half pulp retained by weight. I then did another bag and got 3.5kg in total, so more than half way there. I've put it in an ice cream container and whacked it in the freezer as instructed, I just have to wait for some more fruit to ripen so the freezing comes in handy!

Just looking at the recipe, it says to sit in a bucket for 3 days then strain into fermenter and pitch yeast. For others that have made this kind of wine (fruit wine of any sort), could you see a problem with leaving the pulp in during primary fermentation then straining? Trying to retain and much flavour as possible. If I let the pulp thaw then blitz it with a hand blender before combining the ingredients, then rack carefully after primary fermentation would I retain more flavour? Or would treating the fruit so harshly have a bad result? I suppose they don't blitz grapes when they make wine do they? :p

Is there any reason not to chuck it in a fermenter from the beginning? Why cover with a cloth?

Also, what is the ideal wine yeast for this sort of thing?

Thanks,

R

Is there any reason not to chuck it in a fermenter from the beginning? Why cover with a cloth?

That's what I'm asking you fella's :p I just chucked it in a fermenter with a solid lid (hasn't been drilled out for an airlock) and shook it up twice a day. Then when it came to pitching the yeast, I changed the lid for one with a airlock. I've decided to leave all the pulp in there, I'll come up with some convoluted way to filter it when I rack it.

I'm thinking of filtering through pantihose (new and sanitised of course! :p) which I could attach to the bottom of the siphon tube with a rubber band. This should remove quite a bit of the pulp sludge mixed with dead yeasties that will no doubt be waiting for me at the bottom of the fermenter. I plan to rack under argon so oxidisation shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed).

Also, what is the ideal wine yeast for this sort of thing?

Because of the temperature of where my fermenters sit (around 15C at the moment), I decided to use an SN9. I did want to use a CY17 (because I had a spare in the fridge) but it quits about 15C, it was also recommended that I try a MA33, maybe next time when it's warmer :)

Because of the temperature of where my fermenters sit (around 15C at the moment), I decided to use an SN9. I did want to use a CY17 (because I had a spare in the fridge) but it quits about 15C, it was also recommended that I try a MA33, maybe next time when it's warmer :)

I am not familiar with these yeasts. Are they red or white wine yeasts?

The cloth is to prevent nasties from entering the fermentation vessel.
The cloth is preferred by some over a sealed vessel, because oxygen can penetrate the cloth. Yeast likes oxygen in the initial stages of fermentation. do a search on 'fermentation breaks' or 'sugar breaks' or '1/3 break'
Oxygen helps the yeast to breed, denial of oxygen helps them to ferment. Yeast breeding period is known as the 'lag phase'
Should you not supply enough oxygen you can be in for a very long ferment, and perhaps some off flavours too.

I think the price for feijoas definitely depends on where the feijoa comes from - I think I once heard that the Brazilian feijoa is a little bit more expensive than others but I am not quite sure if that is true?

To be honest I would love to try out this recipe for Feijoa Wine because it sounds incredibly delicious and I have never actually made a wine like that before!
I really appreciate good wines that do not have the typical tastes and ingredients for they appear more interesting to me. I once even got a wine delivered from the uk from my parents that had a special taste of lime in it and I totally fell in love with this wine!

The other thing is - since I am quite new to wine brewing / making I wonder if it is a tough call to try out your Feijoa Wine? Would you consider it an easy process or do you think that it needs a lot of know-how?

I think the price for feijoas definitely depends on where the feijoa comes from - I think I once heard that the Brazilian feijoa is a little bit more expensive than others but I am not quite sure if that is true?

To be honest I would love to try out this recipe for Feijoa Wine because it sounds incredibly delicious and I have never actually made a wine like that before!
I really appreciate good wines that do not have the typical tastes and ingredients for they appear more interesting to me. I once even got a wine delivered from the uk from my parents that had a special taste of lime in it and I totally fell in love with this wine!

The other thing is - since I am quite new to wine brewing / making I wonder if it is a tough call to try out your Feijoa Wine? Would you consider it an easy process or do you think that it needs a lot of know-how?

It is an easy process. I m about to open one I bottled in June....hopefully it will have turned out well. I have another 8 or so I will leave till Christmas this year and the year thereafter.

I bought a fejoia (pineapple guava) tee from my local nursery a couple of years back. It's only 4 foot tall yet and has fruited since the second year but only a dozen or so fruits at a time.
I'm in Tamworth NSW and get hard frosts all winter.

Once you can recognise the trees you tend to see them in gardens all over. Most people round here don't use the fruit and if you approached someone with a large tree and offered to spray the fruit for fly and harvest. i'm posistive most would happily agree on the promise of a bottle of wine.

Seems to me that i see a lot of large trees in peoples gardens with their fruit rotting on the ground and making a mess for their mowers ;)

Back