• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Feeling electricity through hands when using Guten

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

nathanvonbeerenstein

Well-Known Member
Joined
15/11/12
Messages
181
Reaction score
53
Location
wantirna, melbourne
Hey all, did a brew yesterday and noticed a little bit of current going through my hand when I touched the guten.

While heating up the strike water in my 40L vessel purchased last year, I stock my hand in the water to grab out a floaty. When doing do, I immediately noticed the unmistakeable sting and tingle in a little cut I have on my hand from electricity. While not enough to mess with my hearts rhythm, I’m definitely concerned this could get worse and become extremely dangerous.

While not smart or scientific, when I touched my tongue to the units still it was as if I was licking a 9v battery.

Any thoughts as to whether this is within an acceptable range before I get in contact with KegKing directly?

Cheers
 

Fro-Daddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
23/4/17
Messages
337
Reaction score
90
Location
Brisbane, QLD
I've heard of this happening once before with the Guten, definitely contact the seller and get a replacement unit.
 

Abird89

Well-Known Member
Joined
31/12/16
Messages
103
Reaction score
36
I just love that you stuck your tongue in to confirm hahah
 

Stokesy

Well-Known Member
Joined
23/9/18
Messages
45
Reaction score
12
Location
Coomealla
Wow. Don't fuk with power, replace it or have it checked by a sparky.
 

brewgasm

Well-Known Member
Joined
20/3/18
Messages
319
Reaction score
97
Location
NSW
Do not use the unit, it is faulty and could kill you. Keg King should send you a new unit and arrange for the faulty one to be sent back to them or destroyed.
 

Big Mick

Member
Joined
25/2/19
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
Gold Coast
I get the same thing in my HLT I assume from the heating element. I've tried troubleshooting a few things / changing out chords etc and even changed the elements but still get it - as you said only when I've got a small cut and also not wearing shoes. Only a minor tingle. In the end I just try to keep my tongue away from it :)
 

fdsaasdf

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/1/14
Messages
843
Reaction score
188
This is defective and unsafe, KK need to replace the unit.

Disappointing to see, hopefully not a pattern given their track records with the 2200W stick fires... I mean elements
 

phildo

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/6/14
Messages
89
Reaction score
18
This has got to be a gag. It just has to be.
 

Mya

Well-Known Member
Joined
19/11/18
Messages
46
Reaction score
24
Location
New zealand
I've been shocked from mine while being outside washing it out, while it hasn't been plugged in for over 30 mins.

I believe that the capacitors are holding charge and dissipating when I complete the circuit to earth (standing in wet ground) and holding the wet steel. Either that or the base isn't water resistant and I somehow got some water splashed inside that short circuited it.

There was a time when I was getting shocked using it in my laundry (other appliances were shocking me too but it required the ground to be wet which was common with the guten but uncommon normally) but I determined this was a faulty earth in the laundry (the common earth for the laundry had fallen out of the terminal block). It may pay to check that you are getting continuity between your neutral phase and earth in the wall socket you normally use your guten in, if not you have a faulty earth too.

Also as with any electronic device that involves water I would not use one without attaching an RCD to it. Portable ones aren't great but better than nothing.
 

nathanvonbeerenstein

Well-Known Member
Joined
15/11/12
Messages
181
Reaction score
53
Location
wantirna, melbourne
Do not use the unit, it is faulty and could kill you. Keg King should send you a new unit and arrange for the faulty one to be sent back to them or destroyed.
That’s my thinking too; I’ll drop them an email but wasn’t sure how much current was below the RCD’s threshold. Last time I was there about an unrelated issue with the unit, the bloke there just pushed on a little plastic rubber face on the switches, it fell off before I’d gotten back in the car. Looking forward to some refinement in these models rather than a band aid fix.

All our house wiring is only 3-years old, so fairly confident i can rule out the circuit as the issue.

(Won’t be tongue-testing any more appliances by the way, thanks for the smart reminders gents)
 
Last edited:

malt and barley blues

Well-Known Member
Joined
3/3/12
Messages
552
Reaction score
193
The switch cover has to be fitted behind the casing, so the switch has to be popped out to fit it.
 

Kev R

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
171
Reaction score
42
Location
Newcastle NSW
I had a similar problem with 3V electric system. Low tickle similar to the battery thing. Turned out there is some sort of residual current in the house earth system. Tested with a multi, one probe in the wall socket earth pin and the other on a water pipe and had 8 volts.
Earthed all my vessels direct to the house earth stake (dedicated separate wire) no more problem.
 

Pokey

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/1/13
Messages
137
Reaction score
24
Location
Peakhurst
I had a similar problem with 3V electric system. Low tickle similar to the battery thing. Turned out there is some sort of residual current in the house earth system. Tested with a multi, one probe in the wall socket earth pin and the other on a water pipe and had 8 volts.
Earthed all my vessels direct to the house earth stake (dedicated separate wire) no more problem.
Yeah, nah that's not right
Water pipe should be bonded to the earth stake/main earth, if it's not you need to get that looked at.
 

Latest posts

Top