Feeder Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grott

Beer Embalmer
Reaction score
I'm now using a 19l keg to feed my 2x 4l mini keg. The keg has a simple fermented English bitter
( Coopers & liquid malt) and is at room temperature ( the mini kegs are then chilled & carbonated). My kegs have limited sediment due to 14 day fermentation, an internal filter to the tap in the fermenter and the transfer manner by hose from the tap. The transfer is done with gas connected to the keg meaning it stays sealed.
When the keg is needed to be refilled there is a litre or so still in it.

Question - would it be ok to just refill the keg without cleaning/sanitising for two or three refills. (the left over ale will have co2 coverage.)

So long as your keg is clean, wasn't infected, the last beer is compatible with the next - why not?

The keg's still full of CO2 until the lid gets removed then the second law of thermodynamics kicks in and diffusion begins (the blanket is a lie), but if you pop the lid and fill it up right away it will begin to push CO2 out, preventing any air getting in.

Honestly I've gotten lazy in the past and put pales in the same keg 5-6 times without cleaning it, just a rinse with boiling water... :ph34r: :ph34r:

I mark how many times I've done it on the tape stuck to the keg, after a few too many I give it a proper clean.

Latest posts

Back