Feedback wanted on my first brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, now that I think about it, couldn't I just reduce it to say at 20L batch which would mean I'd have to hit 70% efficiency instead of 85?

If I'm not too late - don't add all your strike water at once. Add most of it (I used to save 10%-20% depending on how much grain I had) stir it all up, check the temp in your mash. Then heat or cool the last of your water to make sure you get to strike temp.

Best of luck

Ciderman said:
Actually, now that I think about it, couldn't I just reduce it to say at 20L batch which would mean I'd have to hit 70% efficiency instead of 85?
I'd just go with the recipe as modified. 75% to 80% efficiency is just a guess to start you off and probably a good one. Keep notes and you'll dial in a base efficiency for your system fairly quickly and then can adjust recipes to suit your system

Adr_0 said:
How have you gone today mate?
Brewed yesterday. Got the strike water bang on this time which was excellent. The esky that I use is unbelievable at keeping temperature, just holds the entire time.

Made a fly sparge from PVC pipe. Works well but might make some more modifications.

Hit the exact OG of 1.074 which was amazing. Bought myself a Refractometer so that certainly helps. I hit 70% efficiency too which is a massive improvement on my first brew.

Speaking of which I tasted my first brew out. Only had 4 days in bottle so it's barely carbonated - I was very impressed!

Overall I'm well on track now. Thanks for all the help along the way.

Mate, great to hear! Sounds awesome, good to hear the esky works well as that is often a source of dramas for people and great to know you don't have to do anything extra for it.

I think that beer might take a couple of months to mellow and it would be worth dry hopping... I think it's in the recipe anyway?

Adr_0 said:
Mate, great to hear! Sounds awesome, good to hear the esky works well as that is often a source of dramas for people and great to know you don't have to do anything extra for it.

I think that beer might take a couple of months to mellow and it would be worth dry hopping... I think it's in the recipe anyway?
Yeah dry hopping in secondary. Looking forward to tasting it down the track!

Latest posts

Back