Feedback on this Chilli Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi all – a little while ago I tried (and enjoyed) Buckleys Chilli Choc Bock and have been wanting to try and achieve something along the lines of the Chilli Chocolate line. I thought I’d try a porter (of sorts)

Has anyone done or seen anything similar?

Any ideas on how much and when to add the chilli.

The desired result is not a blow your head off mouth and bum burning chilli but rather a subltle hint of warmth on the back of the palate just like when you eat Lindt Dark Chocolate and Chillli.

Chilli Choc Porter. (18lt)

Ale Malt 3.10kg
Brown Malt 0.35kg
Caramalt Malt (BB) 0.35kg
Chocolate Malt 600 0.20kg

Willamette 30g @ 60 Mins
willamette 20g @ 20 Mins
Willamette 10g @ 5 Mins

Cacao Nib (roasted) 120g @ 15 mins

Chilli Flakes ???g @???mins

Wyeast 1318

Thanks

BnB

Hey bnb I did a black chilli ipa (23L) and used three large red chillis diced up seeds and all.
Threw them in @15mins to go in boil.
Although I had a slight chilli taste I didnt get any heat. I would suggest aiming for around 5 chillis for your 18L batch or equivalent in dry flakes which I don't know how you could work out.

I have a jalapeño ale in the works ATM and I plan on using 6 in it which should give a nice bite I'd say.

never, ever add them to the bottle

please keep us updated with results, what type of chillies are you useing?

I tried a neighbour's ginger beer once that had a single bird's eye chilli in each bottle (grolsch swingtops)
it was quite over powering, and I didn't really enjoy it at all
I'm thinking put the chillies in a hop bag during the boil

Latest posts

Back