Feedback Appreciated

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Brewer

Reaction score
I put this down last weekend - ANZUS Pale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.02 l
Boil Size: 42.56 l
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Volume 29.99 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 23.32 l Est Mash Efficiency 80.7 %

Amt Name
2.34 kg Barrett Burston Pale (Pilsner )Malt (4.0 EBC)
1.85 kg Barrett Burston Ale Malt (5.9 EBC)
0.79 kg Joe White -Caramalt (39.4 EBC)
0.44 kg Barrett Burston Wheat Malt (4.1 EBC)
0.05 kg Carafoam (3.9 EBC)
9.88 g Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
7.54 g Galaxy Hops [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
5.00 g Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10.35 g Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min
3.50 g Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
2.84 g Galaxy Hops [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
5.00 g Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min
5.00 g Galaxy Hops [12.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
3.55 kg Gas (Boil 0.0 mins)
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US -05)

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 30.9 IBUs
Est Color: 12.1 EBC

Saccharification Add 45.90 l of water at 67.1 C - 64.4 C 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Im calling it ANZUS Pale ( probably some TM infringement anyway.....) as its based on an Aussie PAle Style, has POR and Galaxy hops, NZ grown Cascade Hops and uses a US 05 yeast.

The brew day went well, with one small hicup - just as the wort is about to boil i realise that the pickup and hopscreen are still in the cleaning bucket ! Kill gas - drain wort - attach fittings - add wort back to kettle - about 8 degrees has been knocked the temp - boil - chill - pitch - as normal - all good currently coming towards the end of its primary ferment.

Will the fact that i stopped the boil and started again have any affect on the brew - the samples i have had dont indicate any off flavours - the fermentation has been very strong.

Ant feedback on the recipe would be great and any insight as to weather my hicup on brewday will have any adverse affects.

Cheers,

DB

as long as you hadnt made any hop additions yet which as it wasnt boiling yet im ass uming you hadnt then it should be fine unless you believe in the fairytale of hsa in which case you may have staling issues over time which being a hoppy beer the hops will have dropped out before that happens anyway. beer should be great id say. i do want to know how youre adding the 3.55 kilos of gas to the brew though? :D

Cheers beerhog, the gas thing - i am trying to get an accurate cost on the brews i am putting out - dividing the freight cost and adding freight to everything in my inventory - depending on the mash profile and boil time i use between 2 - 3 and bit KGs of gas per brew - from a 9 kg bottle that costs $32 - $36 to fill - a substantial cost to the brew. I havent changed the amount i used for this brew but it would be close to 2 kgs i think.

As for the beer its looking good.

Cheers,

DB

Latest posts

Back