Fcuck! Tasmania, you beaut

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
Just cos I p***ed off with the title and initial post(s) on another thread of a similar name, and this is a brewing forum. If for no other reason than this, Fcuck! Tasmania, you beaut!

image.jpg

First beer I've tasted that required tissues. Should of taken a shot in the glass, but can't afford to pour another tonight

Moo brew imperial stout?

Was down there on the weekend. Couldn't afford to try it at $25 a bottle. Especially after spending $250 on wine.

So, is it worth it?

MAX POWER said:
Couldn't afford to try it at $25 a bottle. Especially after spending $250 on wine.
Priorities seem out of whack.. :D

I swear they had that on tap once when I visited the Sydney Hotel. One keg only. So I did the best i could. Up until then I thought Coopers Export was a good stout. Which it is. But, you know..
Pestered the brewery for the recipe to no avail. Since I have no ex-winery oak barrels to age in, probably a moot anyway.

Is that the barrel aged version?
I've been drinking that on tap. Too good to send overseas!

Moo brew is nice enough, just not worth what they're charging. Had some on bottle and on tap at MONA - it just seemed a bit too caught up with being a hipster beer and the ones I tried (their Pale on tap at MONA) was okay, but I reckon there's many craft beers that are worth way less to buy but way better. I haven't had the barrel aged one though.

Okay, here's a good'un:

Crown Cellars Launceston, up there with the best bottle shops for craft beer in the country and no need to provide *caveat because it's in Tassie - it stands on its own merit.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Moo brew is nice enough, just not worth what they're charging. Had some on bottle and on tap at MONA - it just seemed a bit too caught up with being a hipster beer and the ones I tried (their Pale on tap at MONA) was okay, but I reckon there's many craft beers that are worth way less to buy but way better.
Amen! The single most overpriced craft beer in the country (ok, so I bet there's worse...). I like their "Belgo", and when I was at MONA I had a crack at their Saison, but at $11 or so for a schooner, I assumed the glass was included. They're well enough priced at the Taste festival, funnily enough.

Prince Imperial said:
Amen! The single most overpriced craft beer in the country (ok, so I bet there's worse...). I like their "Belgo", and when I was at MONA I had a crack at their Saison, but at $11 or so for a schooner, I assumed the glass was included. They're well enough priced at the Taste festival, funnily enough.
That is so my rule of thumb.

Not For Horses said:
Is that the barrel aged version?
I've been drinking that on tap. Too good to send overseas!
NFH, I know someone who knows someone, who's just opened, or is in the process of opening a brewery in Hobart.

The brewery is called Captain Blighs, ask for Brooksy and if you tell him the person who told you, knows a bloke called Magnum, he'll know exactly who you're talking about. ;)

It could open up a mutually beneficial opportunity.

sponge said:
Priorities seem out of whack.. :D
Blame the Mrs for that.

Dave70 said:
I swear they had that on tap once when I visited the Sydney Hotel. One keg only. So I did the best i could. Up until then I thought Coopers Export was a good stout. Which it is. But, you know..
Pestered the brewery for the recipe to no avail. Since I have no ex-winery oak barrels to age in, probably a moot anyway.
Are you sure it was the Imperial? at $25 a bottle, I imagine bar prices would be pretty steep.
They do a seasonal stout that is only sold on tap as well. They had it at The Winston on the weekend and it was very good. Best Moo Brew I've had, but I haven't had the Imperial.

MAX POWER said:
Blame the Mrs for that.

Are you sure it was the Imperial? at $25 a bottle, I imagine bar prices would be pretty steep.
They do a seasonal stout that is only sold on tap as well. They had it at The Winston on the weekend and it was very good. Best Moo Brew I've had, but I haven't had the Imperial.

Perhaps I'm just mentally primed to put 'imperial' in front of stout but was definitely something like that. Would have been about five years ago. I remember there was a girl with a French accent working behind the bar who said Moo Brew would supply a keg or two now and again to get some feed back. And yeah, it wasn't a cheap shout, that's for sure. But huge on deliciousness.
Should have paid closer to attention to the beer instead of miss oh la la..

austin said:
What did you do to that beer?
Umm, nah I best not offer ideas or unsubstantiated claims.:).
But it is a bloody nice stout,make no mistake.

This seems to be the tas praising thread so I'm gonna put this here........Freezers getting full so I've just done a bit of an audit with the new stock going in, dated and labeled, and giving mystery meat to the dog. Have venison (1 leg of yearling), duck (2 pac blacks and 2 teals), cape barron goose (3 breasts of) chicken (2 roosters w/o skin........can't be fucked plucking most of the time), couple of squid.

Swapped all of the meat that didn't require a firearm for chook or eggs. If I didn't raise it......I swapped with someone who's a better shot than me (i.e. ......most people).

No abs left, but just waiting for the water to get warm enough for this QLDER.

Whitebait license is next, get one of lagerbombs whitebait patties inta ya and you'll know why.

Have 4 days off coming up where I've got a mate (who's 10 times the angler I am) coming over so I'll make the assumption there will be trout knee deep at my place.

**** yeah, Tasmania.

My Father in Law lives near the channel & while his preference is fly fishing for trout up at the lakes, we pop the boat in at Margate fairly often and catch a shitload of flathead. It's not uncommon to be winding one in and another will jump on your other hook. I know there's lots of places to catch flatties in Australia, but not many with water like that, & when you get sick of flatties there's plenty of other fish to catch. The land of milk & honey!

Is it possible to get sick of flathead?

I stayed at the Freycinet lodge for my honeymoon and you could sit down on the pier and watch schools of trevally within hands reach. I wish I'd packed a rod and reel but it might have been hard to explain to the wife.

Latest posts

Back