Favourite Foods From Around The World

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog Brewery

Reaction score
Hi All,

I do a lot of fundraising for children and I get asked to run different functions from which I raise money for the kids. I have been asked to co ordinate the catering for a large themed evening meal / cocktail style food (500 people). They want to have traditional food from all over the world (probably 10 different nationalities). As the people attending are from all over the world I need the dishes to be representative of their countries not my view of what their national food is.

While I have travelled a lot, I'm sure that my stereotype view of what foods are considered a national dish or representative of that country is like others thinking that Fosters is our national beer. As we have lots of brewers here from a wide background can you share what is your favourite food from around the world / what is the "national dish" (if there is such a thing!) I am especially interested in those who live or lived oversees & with different cultural backgrounds. It would be good also if you could share any of Mammas secret recipes none of us will tell! The food I need has to be able to be served in a cocktail size serve about the size as a party pie etc but can be served in a small dish of the same size if it's not able to be picked up.

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers BDB

Ok, some suggestions for pie-sized food.

India - samosas (obvious but thought I'd suggest it)
Indonesia - tahu isi (stuffed tofu). Stuff tofu with mix of shredded veg, coriander, shallots, garlic. Fry mixture lightly add a little egg. Then stuff in tofu and fry. Should be able to find a more detailed recipe on line.
Turkey - borek.
Nothing wrong with spring rolls, maybe some un-fried ones Vietnamese style summer rolls.

i am a kango so no real international insights here but, mussels from brussels would probably be an easy one.. chuck em all in a pot then serve.

Thanks for the idea's, anymore??

Cheers BDB

Hey BD,
give Zwickel a PM for some German food and you could try Newguy for somthing from Canada, if they have a unique cusine that is. They probably don't read this par t of the forum. Good luck with the fund raising, what a great cause.

cheers

Browndog

yeah yeah, whats that canadian stuff.. poontang or something?

Black Dog Brewer - just wondering how it all turned out and what dishes from around the world did you present?

Im surprised no one mentioned sushi...

Brushetta shooters...

:D when i first heard about poutine (pootang) i couldnt believe they ate it but after spending the night down the pub i reckon i could go a plate now ;)

I'd like to know how it went as well. Sushi can be difficult to get the masses to eat and the freshness is paramount. My fave Japanese dish is called Okonomiyaki. If you break it down into syllables it's really not that hard fellas. If you tell people you are going to make them cabbage based pancakes they don't get excited though. We put ours on a base of slowly fried hokkien noodles with the pancake mixture poured on, heaps of prawns on that and finish the lot with an egg. You have to use the Japanese mayonnaise (kupi-san) and their barby sauce as well. Sprinkle with shaved dried bonito and its unreal!

You can make this on a barby with a flat plate as big as you dare and just cut it into any size servings you like. Have a google of okonomiyaki. The best beer food out of the Osaka/Kyoto area by far. Hang on maybe the octopus balls....

:D when i first heard about poutine (pootang) i couldnt believe they ate it but after spending the night down the pub i reckon i could go a plate now ;)

Ive never heard of this stuff... I wonder if that is were that got the new york fries from. Im not a fussy eater but unsure if I could stomach that! Does not look that appealing!

Check out the website for the SBS show Food Safari, don't have it to hand but won't be too hard to find.
It has recipes from the show and sorted by cuisine and you can be sure that they are reasonably authentic because it is always dealing with people from that country or with strong ties, albeit transplanted to Aus.

Edit: Should really have checked the date of the original post :) Well it stands anyway. Great site for food ideas!

Ive never heard of this stuff... I wonder if that is were that got the new york fries from. Im not a fussy eater but unsure if I could stomach that! Does not look that appealing!

After a few beers it is :)
I tried it when in Canada a little back...
I think from memory mine was probably one of the variants with Mozzerella but it was still nice.

Latest posts

Back