Favorite beer styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Smit

Reaction score
What are peoples favorite beers?

One of mine certainly is russian imperial stout (RIS)

RIS is a massive beer and some commentators classify it as a barleywine despite the color.

The original gravity is 1095 to 1125 and the higher the better in my opinion! BIG beer, the biggest, mouthfilling and hugely flavorsome with dark malts predominating. The sort of beer you have a pint of, it takes you all night to drink it and it can easily take the place of dinner :)

About the only way you will taste it is to find a US microbrewery example or brew your own. To brew it using extract, you would need 10.5 1.2K buckets of light LME and steep 850g black patent. That is the sort of beer it is

Belgian Tripels are also deelish: Westmalle, Orval, Chimay etc

Tom

My normal staple commercial beer is James Boags Premium - nothing too fancy but a great beer.

Would be interested in seeing if anyone has a personal recipe for this - I have the ingredients here from what The Country Brewer shop gave me, but as yet, haven't started it. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has made a similar type of beer.

The other day I was up at the bottle-o and saw that they had a 'Christmas Gift Pack' of a 1.5L Grolsch and 2 beer glasses. I couldn't resist getting my hands on that bottle, so a picked it up. It has been a while since I have had a Grolsch but enjoyed it. Great drop.

Summer usually brings out the Carona's but I find them a little too light, a bit too watery, especially if it is chasing a homebrew.

my favorite style is lager, love a good crisp mid to low IBU, lager
my favorite Australian Commericail is the Boags,( bloody Brilliant)
then there is the best world beer ive ever tasted

Cassis Lambic, bloody wonderfull, good fruity sour beer

as far as corona, i have a mexican friend that tels me it is to them what fosters is to us

I've got a few favourites. If i'm looking for something cheap, Coopers Sparkling or Coopers PA.
Refreshing, either Little Creatures PA, Mountain Goat PA or Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen (love cloudy wheats :) ).

If i feel like something strong, either Chimay Blue, Westmalle Trippel or Duvel. They need to be drunk in moderation though, theyre so complex, and you dont realise how alcoholic they are till you've had a couple and it hits you :).

spent 5 years in tassie and yep boags is a great drop especially after comin from south oz (adelaide)
and having to drink that west end........ only my personal opinion im not trying to start a war!, coopers is a much better beer ( once again only my opinion) i also have a great liking for little creatures p.a. and would be very interested if anyone has a clone recipe for it
i know it is based on the american pale ale but a recipe any one?

:chug:

West End isn't the best, in fact terrible...my old man swears by the stuff for some reason, myself I tend to go with the Coopers range anything from Paley's to higher end Sparkling Ale or the other premium one which totally slips my mind as I write this.

Then again if I'm after something different I'll go with Boags, like everyone that is some nice stuff! or Crown Lager doesn't seem to bad.

My favourite comm. beer (which I can afford to buy regularly) is definitely Coopers "Thomas Cooper's Export". I'm a parochi .... parochria ... proud south aussie, so have to buy coopers!!!, and I find it much more refreshing that either of the cloudy ales - only problem is finding it! Heaps of places either don't stock it, or have a half carton that's been sitting in a back corner of the fridge for a year or so.... My next brew I'm going to try copy it - I'm thinking a bitter kit with some extra hops ????

Fiscus - I got one of those big Grolsch's last year - only problem is getting a stubby holder to fit that 1.5Ltr bottle! ;) I actually tried using it for bottling one of my brews - it didn't work very well. It seemed to seal quite well, only if the bottle got moved, you heard a nice little (pssssschwwt), as the swing top leaked a bit :(

I love Belgians, particularly Chimay Grand Reserve, Westmalle Tripel, and fruit lambics. I recently tried the Morte Subite Cassis Lambic - bloody wonderful, but the cherry Krieks are still my favourite of the style.

As for the requested Little Creatures Pale Ale recipe ...

I have not brewed this one myself, but Rob from our store at Thornleigh uses the following

- Black Rock Colonial Lager (at ale temperatures)
- Ultra Brew (booster)
- about 100 - 150 grams of crystal grain (steeped in a coffee plunger with water hot from the kettle for about 1/2 an hour. No need to get temperatures right as you are only after colour and flavour here, not fermentables)
- Quote "S*&t load of Cascade hops"

I will be brewing this one myself sometime in the next few months, so if you get to it before me, drop us a line and let me know how it went

Cheers,
Pete
:chug:

James Boag's Premium --- kit wise recipe:

Black Rock Lager can
No. 60 converter pack (german lager something or other)
500g Light Dry Malt
saflager yeast

hehe brewing it now --- tis my fav commercial drop too

badg3er said:
James Boag's Premium --- kit wise recipe:

Black Rock Lager can
No. 60 converter pack (german lager something or other)
500g Light Dry Malt
saflager yeast
Thats the recipe that I used for my first batch (still in storage) - did you get it from the yellow Brewcraft leaftlet? Cause that it the same.

The http://www.countrybrewer.com.au gave me a diff recipe, which I have the ingredients for, but as yet, haven;t started.

They were:

Black Rock Lager
1kg Body Bre
500g Light Malt
24g Tettnanger Hops

Brown ale (eg, Newcastle) & pale/amber ale (especially the aussie ones which use Pride of Ringwood hops. Coopers Sparkling ale is brilliant). I'm getting sick of the aussie lagers, to tell you the truth.

I don't mind stout either. I'm not a big fan of the dry Irish style though (eg, Guinness). Coopers stout is great, though.

The pub near my office recently had a Steinlager promotion and I found myself drinking a few of those. It was odd, as I'm an ale man, but I don't mind the odd premium ale. Boag's Premium is up there along with the "old" Hahn premium. I swear they changed their recipe about 2 years ago and I've never liked it since.

Generally I like dark and Brown ales. Toohey's Old is my Pub standard schooner. I also enjoy the odd Kent Old when I see it on tap. James Squire Amber Ale is to die for. My local RSL has it on tap and serves pints! For home, I usually get Boag's StrongArm Bitter, as the Mrs doesn't mind a drop of that one, and I adore it.

My favourite beers have been home brews. A mate's grandfather is a master, his ales were to die for. Sadly, I haven't seen him in years.

I like dark beers, like Coopers and Sheaf stout. I also like MountainGoat HighTail Ale, any of the James Squire brews (particularly the India Pale ale and the Colonial Wheat) and Little Creatures.

cheers
reg

I second the motion. I brew because beer is expensive and as a general rule sub-par, with several exceptions. James Squire Amber is probably my favourite Aussie beer. My friends and I call it "Liquid Steak"... not because of the taste, but because of the palette, the mouthfeel. Grand. Another favourite of mine is Emu Bitter. It's disgusting, but it's got class. I mean, it's got pisstake-stubbies-and-a-wife-beater class. You'd have to come drinking with my friends to understand.

:)

Vinds.

Hmmmm LC PA, hmmmm

Actually too thin for my taste

I bet Wanderbrewer, the hophead, will have a clone recipe

i would shoot for all malt beer of 1050, kilo dextrose and POR bittering with fuggles and goldings as last additions.

Now the way I would brew it, brew it as a 1080 beer, but collect just enough to make 23L of 1060, that way you have a wonderful maltiness, I would shoot for 70IBU from dirt hops

Tom

Hmmm, favorite Australian beers would be Boags and Cascade.

Favorite imported beers include would be Chimay Blue and Aventinus Weizendoppelbock.

The Aventinus is worth buying if you see it. A german wheat beer that comes in a 9%, quite dark with lots of different flavors. Make sure it isn't past its use by date though. I had one that was lovely and one that was quite bland at two months over its useby.

For beers that I've brewed, I think a Helles Bock is still my sentimental favorite.

Harry.

Montieths , malt shovel , pilner urquell .

Any beer that doesn't use orrible tetra hops !!!!!!!

S

Latest posts

Back