Faucet With Acidic And Alkaline Water Adjustment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanclark111

Reaction score
<h1 class="entry-title">Saw this and thought it might make a good one for the home brewery, not sure if it would really help as I havent looked too closely at water adjustment but seems cool.
</h1>http://www.springwise.com/life_hacks/faucet-enables-users-choose-acidic-alkaline-water/

<h1 class="entry-title">and the info from the site</h1> Weve already found companies such as Activeion pushing boundaries in the use of ionized water with its Ionator device for picking up more dirt and killing harmful germs. Now the Tyent USA Under Counter Extreme 9000T enables businesses and homeowners to alter the levels of acidity or alkalinity of tap water using ionization.

Using filters and electrodes connected to a computer chip, the faucet provides water with seven different levels of pH. The in-built touchscreen interface shows a button labelled H2O for pH level seven, as well as three more buttons for the three levels of alkaline water available. All of these options are drinkable. There are also three buttons for the three levels of acidic water used for industrial cleaning which are not potable. A turbo button also supplies a highly acidic or alkaline water for cleaning, sterilizing and disinfecting. The faucet is equipped with two separate taps to ensure the drinkable water does not come into contact with water not suitable for human consumption. Once the level is set, users press the on button to start the water supply, pressing it again to turn it off. The device also has warning voices that guide the user through safe operation.

While the device could find use in homes offering different levels of ionized water as well as the ability to get rid of difficult stains in the kitchen or bathroom the Tyent USA Under Counter Extreme 9000T is designed for use in food and drink outlets who could make the most use of a single source for different types of water. Those in the food and drink industry one to get involved in?

Hmm

"Using filters and electrodes connected to a computer chip"

Must. Know. More.

Generally the pH of the mash coupled with the mineral content of the water is what you want to be looking at. pH of the water is less relevant.

I found it hard to decipher how this device specifically alters the pH. Alkaline water is not the devil in water chemistry but I believe it's not preferred either, depending on what other ingredients you have and adjustments you make.

Might depend on what's causing the alkalinity - not sure and not sure how the device does it.

Certainly cool looking but for 2.5 odd grand, I'd rather a packet of calcium salts, some food grade acid and a free spreadsheet and the change.

Looks like a scam for the gullible types who enjoy non specific "wellness".

It would be terrible for brewing regardless.

Water is fascinating stuff, composed in equal parts of what you could think of as acid and base H+ and OH-
We all probably saw the experiment with Hoffmans apparatus in high school were water is cracked up into Oxygen and Hydrogen by running a voltage through it
View attachment 55476
What these types of equipment do is something similar only one or the other of the fractions is vented and the other kept in solution, increase the amount of H+ in solution and the water will be more Acidic, more OH- and the water will be more alkaline, some are available that ozonify the oxygen the effect being a lot like using peroxide and has in common that it is a temporary effect.
Interesting bit of equipment and I can see where it could be very useful, perhaps not for mashing water but great for the purposes outlined in the ad.
Mark

Latest posts

Back