Faucet Spout Plug Also Fits Fermenter Taps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
I've always been a little suspicious of fermenter taps being exposed to the air so freely. I bought some, 'Faucet Spout Plugs,' from Ross the other day and just found, to my great delight, that they fit fermenter taps perfectly.

I bought 2 so I could have one clean for my beer tap after each use. Bit annoyed now that I didn't get more as I'd like to be able to do the same for my fermenters after each reading. Grrrr.

Thought this info was worth passing on. Here's a pic...

Faucet_Spout_Plug.jpg

And yes, that is my finger .

Whoops! Just checked and found they dont fit your normal fermenter tap. If you cut them down they would and I suppose at $1.50 it doesnt matter.

Cheers
PP

Beats being bitten on the funnel by a finger-web spider

Good idea Finger - why didn't I think of that??? Had one further thought though - I'm always worried about these taps getting knocked and turning on by themselves. Might do a test to see if these and/or a thimble will stop a knocked tap leaking. Will post the result tomorrow.

Good on ya Screwtop. :lol: as always.

I've been using the soft thimble things used for counting money/flicking pages for a while. Went out the other night to pour a pint, didnt bother turning the light on, couldnt work out why beer was spashing round, came back inside to find a rubber thimble floating in glass. So those ones wont keep the beer in if a large dog flicks the tap open with its nose.

Top story Guest - lol!

Just tested the faucet plug with the fermenter tap open and it holds firm! Think I'll leave someone else to see if the thimble works as well as I have a long day ahead and can't see myself trying to find thimbles.

Also, I think I've fallen in love with the faucet plugs - in a healthy way that is. Why? In addition to the above, I can take a small sample from the tap, squeeze the end and dribble a bit onto the refractometer for a reading. What's left over is the ideal size for a taste test.

Perfect!

Love to get all the new brew toys...but these I can do without <_<

Batz

i just use a bit of food grade plastic hose (clear stuff-12mm bore)about 40 mm long,melt one end together with a cigarette lighter, and hey presto-one tap plug .
It fits tight ,and I keep it full of sanitising solution when on the tap.
Cheers Peter

Back