Fattox's Belgian Session IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys, something I've been working on. I was wanting to do something like a Flying Dog Raging Bitch, but my system simply can't handle a full mash on it with it being something like 46 litre mash volume on a 23 litre batch size and I wanted at least a keg worth. So I took someone's attempt, chopped it down, changed the yeast, scaled the hops right back and modified a few additions slightly. So here we have Angry Skank Session Belgian IPA. On a side note though, my grain mill broke half way through milling so this was supposed to be a different beer. I will see how it comes but mine ended up on a pre-boil about 10 points under where it should have so I have added 150g each of brown sugar and LME to compensate slightly.

Version 1 (with the mill stuff-up and my changes OG approx. 1.046 - see how it goes)

OG 1.053, 44.1 IBU.
92.7% BB Pale Malt
7.3% Caramalt (If you can get specific crystals, C40 or equivalent)

13.1 IBU Warrior @ 60 mins (had to order through Yakima Valley to get it but some shops locally should have it)
10.2 IBU Columbus @ 30
2.9 IBU Amarillo or Amarillo Gold @ 30
3.5 IBU Amarillo @ 15
6.2 IBU Columbus @ 15
Brew Brite and Yeast Nutrient @ 10
2.3 IBU Amarillo whirlpool/steep for 20 mins after boil
4 IBU Columbus for same period steep/whirlpool
1.25g/L dry hop of Amarillo for a week
WY3522 Belgian Ardennes with appropriate starter. Ferment @ 18 degrees down to FG around 1.013ish, to yield approx. 5.2% ABV.

I've got it boiling at the moment with about 20 mins left on the boil. Mash @ 67 for a medium body. Boil 90 mins, additions start @ 60.

I'll keep an update on this guy!

Sounds good mate, I've been wanting to brew a US hopped Belgian yeast beer for a while.
Let us know how it turns out.

I will mate. I'll be pitching this one later today, I had a majorly effed up brew day with the mill drive breaking so I missed OG by 5 points by the end with some adjuncts. I'm curious to see how it comes out though. Ended up with a monster krausen on the starter too in the flask, in a 5 litre conical 3 litre starter and almost to the top with krausen! The starter is crash chilling currently so will be getting pitched in the next day.

Latest posts

Back