Fatlock / Snaplock / Pushlock - What Lock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a font on ebay this week and it came with snaplock adapters.
I presumed my taps where snaplock, but they have a locator pin on them that won't work with the snaplock adapter for the font and now I'm confused.
There is no locator hole in the adapter for the pin to enter.

What is the difference between a fatlock, snaplock and pushlock for beer taps?

I've taken some pictures but they are a bit large to upload and struggling to work out how to reduce them in size. (sorry)

BOG

IMG_0531.JPG

Here are some pictures. Note the locator pin on the tap. Yes, I know I'll need a new O ring....

IMG_0532.JPG

Here is the snaplock adapter. No slot for the locater pin to align.

BOG

Bump

Can anyone answer this question? What typr of adapter do I need?

BOG

Not point out the obvious but definately not a snaplock, then I'd assume it is an import of some description. Have you tried asking where you got the taps from or googled or checked the sponsors website it took me 15 seconds to find the adaptor Adaptor Kit or just go buy some snaplock taps. I know someone on here who will give you a very good price on snaplock taps cheaper then the adaptor kit and the refurbish kits are very cheap from Andale too.

Not point out the obvious but definately not a snaplock, then I'd assume it is an import of some description. Have you tried asking where you got the taps from or googled or checked the sponsors website it took me 15 seconds to find the adaptor Adaptor Kit or just go buy some snaplock taps. I know someone on here who will give you a very good price on snaplock taps cheaper then the adaptor kit and the refurbish kits are very cheap from Andale too.

The taps are Australian sourced, they are a new Guiness taps. Very nice looking. Logos on them etc

The snaplock fitting would work but for the pin on the tap. I've seen a picture of a snaplock that has a hole in the outer ring that looks like it would function.
i gather the pin it to ensure the tap stays upright.

I'm happy to buy the right adapter to fit the font to the tap if I could work out what adapter to buy. I've looked at the sponsors web site and andale and nothing there.

There seems to be multiple names for tap adapters. Fatlock, snaplock and pushlock. All being slightly different I suppose.

Everyone seems to use the snaplock, but what are the other systems / names?

BOG

Don't hold your breath too long BOG, I had similar issues with taps and adapters, people saying they had the parts, then never returning phonecalls, emails etc

At the end of the day, all everybody wants to do is convert you to snaplock.

I too would enjoy reading about the differences in the different systems used.

The taps are Australian sourced, they are a new Guiness taps. Very nice looking. Logos on them etc

The snaplock fitting would work but for the pin on the tap. I've seen a picture of a snaplock that has a hole in the outer ring that looks like it would function.
i gather the pin it to ensure the tap stays upright.

I'm happy to buy the right adapter to fit the font to the tap if I could work out what adapter to buy. I've looked at the sponsors web site and andale and nothing there.

There seems to be multiple names for tap adapters. Fatlock, snaplock and pushlock. All being slightly different I suppose.

Everyone seems to use the snaplock, but what are the other systems / names?

BOG

OK now that you have highlighted they are Guinness taps have you give me something to work with. I have a couple of taps I tried to source parts for which had snaplock ends on them and a shyte load of research I discovered they were UK made taps made specially for Fosters here and I was able to get part through Fosters. So considering Fosters distribute/makes Guinness here they would be a good place to try. I have contact details somewhere PM me if you want them.

Pardon my ignorance, but if the tap fits the adapter, but the locator pin is in the way.
Can't you either grind off the pin or drill a hole in the adapter to make it fit? might save a bit of time and money.
If you're going to look for a new adapter anyway then it can't hurt to try right?

I don't want to throw away the taps as they are very nice and in very good condition. One was unused.

The taps cannot be retrofitted with additional shanks so cutting off the pin seems to be the only way.

I have seen a snaplock tap that has a slot formed in the inner ring that looks like it was made for this type of tap. I'm guessing the pin is used to keep the tap upright on the font.
The picture was on this forum so I'll have to do some trolling.

From Google trolling this week I've discovered that a Fatlock and a Snaplock are the same thing. (Didn't know that) Still don't know what a pushlock is.

I'm surprised we don't have more of these type of taps used by Forum members. Anyway. I'll keep looking and see what I can do about the pin.

BOG

I know this post is from a long time ago but as I googled for the same answer this thread came up with no answer. I have since found the answer to the question and they are PushLoc fittings from Lancer. I have the Lancer catalog here and the fittings are different to Fatlock/Snaplok and will not fit if pin is cut of because it will spin in the Fatlock/Snaplok fitting.
You can buy the 3/4 PushLoc fittings from Lancer to go in your tap tower.
Hope this helps someone in future.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back