Fat Yak Style Receipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wadey

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I am trying my first crack at doing a grain and hop addition. I got the following receipe from Brewers Choice for a Fat Yak. Would love some hints and tips before I delve into this today.

I am also curious about a couple of things:

• Do I need a thermometer, its just says hot tap water
  • I have a plastic seive, is that ok, or should I use a stainlesss one
  • Also wondering if adding the cascase hops just after picthing the yeast is the best method.

Thomas Coopers IPA
CaraMunich Grain Pack (250g)

15 grams Nelson Sauvin (2min steep hop)
15 grams Cascade (dry hop)
1 kg Ultra Brew
US-05 Safale Yeast

Procedure:
1. The day before brewing, refrigerate 6 ltrs of water in sterilised closed containers.
2. Steep grain pack in hot tap water for 15mins. Strain, collecting the liquid into a saucepan and bring grain wort to the boil.
3. Add Nelson Sauvin hops and boil for a further 2 mins. Turn off heat.
4. Empty can of Coopers IPA into fermenter then rinse the can with boiling water.
5. Empty contents of Brew Booster into fermenter, along with the grain wort.
6. Mix well then add the 6 ltrs chilled water and tap water (preferably filtered) to make up to 23 ltrs. Thrash liquid with paddle or spoon to
aerate well! This will cause a lovely big foamy head on the surface.
7. Sprinkle Safale yeast onto surface of liquid, add Cascade hops (dry), and close lid.
8. Brew at 20*c or as close to as possible.
9. Bottle when Specific Gravity stabilises at around 1010 to 1012. ( 3 days running)
10. When bottling add two carbonation drops per 750ml bottle, age at least 1 month.

• Do I need a thermometer, its just says hot tap water
  • I have a plastic seive, is that ok, or should I use a stainlesss one
  • Also wondering if adding the cascase hops just after picthing the yeast is the best method.
  • No real need for a thermometer in this case
  • Although Stainless is better, in this instant plastic will be fine
  • Probably best to add Cascade hops on about day 3. By adding too soon you can lose some effect due to the volatility of the ferment during the first few days.

I can't say that I have steeped grains in hot tap water. Nevertheless, if I didn't have a thermometer, I would steep in cold water over night.

Fermenting at 20C isn't bad but it would be better closer to 18C if you can.

Edit: don't forget to crack your grain before steeping

Can't add much to the excellent advice given above, other than steeping...I have always steeped religiously with my temp between 65-70C, as I learned from Palmer's "how to brew". However I've been told recently that it's really not necessary, as long as you're not going over 70C the lower end doesn't matter all that much. So I did some googling, and sure enough given hot tap water shouldn't be over 70C (normally around 60C depending on your hot water unit), it seems steeping in hot tap water is exactly what a lot of brewers are doing with their spec grain.

Given the time it'll save me heating up cold water to 70C, I'm going to try the hot tap water thing myself next brew. Although i'll continue to steep for 30 minutes rather than 15. And your instructions don't seem to say it, but you should either squeeze your grain bag while it's draining, or rinse with more hot tap water (or both) to get every last little bit out of 'em...

Oh and the grain might already be cracked, does it say on the pack Wadey? If not, have at it with a rolling pin to crack open the husks...if it helps, here's what cracked spec grain looks like (see a little powder and the husks are opened up):
cracked crystal grain.jpg

easy way to hit 65-70deg for steeping small amounts of grains:

2 litre jug of boiling water
+
1 litre of tap water

ta-daa

As per Liam's advice, if the tap water is at 20 you will end up at about 73 degrees. Water from the fridge will put you at about 67 degrees if its near zero out of the fridge. Half tap and half fridge will of course give about 70. :D

not that it's a big deal, but the temperature of the grain will bring it down a couple of degrees.

Thanks guys, looks like the grain is already cracked. Here goes!!!!!

Hope it works out for you Wadey, looks like a tasty recipe.

I've never seen somebody do a 2 minute hop boil before. Is that long enough?

Good pickup, my eyes saw 20 minutes. Is that a typo for the Nelson Sauvin boil Wadey?

Considering there is no chilling mentioned, it's more like 2 minutes at 100C and then however long it takes to fart around until you pour it in. Effectively, a flavour addition. Think kinda NC addition.

carniebrew said:
Can't add much to the excellent advice given above, other than steeping...I have always steeped religiously with my temp between 65-70C, as I learned from Palmer's "how to brew". However I've been told recently that it's really not necessary, as long as you're not going over 70C the lower end doesn't matter all that much. So I did some googling, and sure enough given hot tap water shouldn't be over 70C (normally around 60C depending on your hot water unit), it seems steeping in hot tap water is exactly what a lot of brewers are doing with their spec grain.

Given the time it'll save me heating up cold water to 70C, I'm going to try the hot tap water thing myself next brew. Although i'll continue to steep for 30 minutes rather than 15. And your instructions don't seem to say it, but you should either squeeze your grain bag while it's draining, or rinse with more hot tap water (or both) to get every last little bit out of 'em...

Oh and the grain might already be cracked, does it say on the pack Wadey? If not, have at it with a rolling pin to crack open the husks...if it helps, here's what cracked spec grain looks like (see a little powder and the husks are opened up):
attachicon.gif
cracked crystal grain.jpg
I am anti squeezing when it comes to spec grains. I rinse with good results but have found that some of the crystal that I squeezed, when tatsed after 8 months, has a beautiful caramel smell but is very bitter. I have been blaming the squeezing but perhaps it was something else, they weren't too bad at 3 months.

Good to know, thanks VonScott. If I'm ever able to keep one of my brews around for 8 months and notice the same thing at least I'll know why!

I recall you said you don't use a bag for your spec grains, what are you using?

carniebrew said:
Good to know, thanks VonScott. If I'm ever able to keep one of my brews around for 8 months and notice the same thing at least I'll know why!

I recall you said you don't use a bag for your spec grains, what are you using?
I am also pedantic about the temp. I drop the grains, 400g is the most I've done and that was an IPA, into a pot of water (volume according to IanH) at 65 degrees C and stir them. Then I steep them in the oven set at 60 degrees for 30 minutes. I strain them with a seive and then tip them back into the pot and pour more water at 60 degrees water and strain again.

VonScott said:
I am also pedantic about the temp. I drop the grains, 400g is the most I've done and that was an IPA, into a pot of water (volume according to IanH) at 65 degrees C and stir them. Then I steep them in the oven set at 60 degrees for 30 minutes. I strain them with a seive and then tip them back into the pot and pour more water at 60 degrees water and strain again.
Hadn't ever considered using the oven before...I just stick the lid on the pot and wrap it in a towel for 30mins. May give it a go next time.

yep love the oven idea :) ours is digital so i set it to 65 and steep away...... usually a 30 min steep then a rinse with some 70 degree water to catch the rest of the sweet stuff....

Partials come out so well one of my fave beers iv ever tasted come from a midnight finish Partial Boil extract.....

Hi guys, definitely says 2 min boil for the Sauvin hops? Got interrupted by the neighbour yesterday and ultimately had a few beers so just finished the brew now. Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Cheers Wadey

m3taL said:
yep love the oven idea :) ours is digital so i set it to 65 and steep away...... usually a 30 min steep then a rinse with some 70 degree water to catch the rest of the sweet stuff....

Partials come out so well one of my fave beers iv ever tasted come from a midnight finish Partial Boil extract.....
My digital oven only goes as low as 90...which never bothered me before now!

Wadey said:
Hi guys, definitely says 2 min boil for the Sauvin hops? Got interrupted by the neighbour yesterday and ultimately had a few beers so just finished the brew now. Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Cheers Wadey
Hey Wadey
Two minutes is a short boil for sure; did you strain the hops out or empty the pot straight into the FV?.

No, didnt strain afer the boil, strainght in the fermenter, but there dissolved pretty well.

Latest posts

Back