Fat Tyre Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhay

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Michael Connelly and his character in his books Harry Bosch.In his latest book he mentions Fat tyre Beer and I was able to pull down an extract clone recipe straight from the manufacturer. It is as follows converted to metric;

Fat Tire Amber Ale
(20Litres extract with grains)
Ingredients:
  • 2.25kg Laaglander plain extra-light DME
  • 225g. crystal malt (20° Lovibond)
  • 225g. crystal malt (40° Lovibond)
  • 225g. carapils malt
  • 225g. Munich malt
  • 225g. biscuit malt
  • 225g chocolate malt
  • 20g Willamette pellet hops 60min
  • 15g Fuggle pellet hops 45min
  • 15g Fuggle pellet hops 20min
  • 1 tsp. Irish moss
  • 125g Dextrose
  • Wyeast 1056 or BrewTek CL-10
  • Step by step:
Steep specialty grains in 11.5litres
of water at 70c for 45 minutes. Remove grains and add dried malt extract. Boil
for 60 minutes and add Irish moss. O
G = 1.050
FG = 1.011
IBUs = 16

I would like to try it when my current brew is bottled and would like to hear any comments before proceeding.

Hey jhay,
I have consumed plenty of Fat Tyre on a trip to the states a few years back, killer drop ! I loved it, drank many many pints one night....I was a little wobbly !!!!!
I have not looked into brewing it, but I will be very curious as to how your clone comes out.

I may be way off here, but I was under the impression that the Fat Tyre I was drinking over in Oregon was around 7 or 8 %, your recipe will produce 4.9%.
That of course wont matter if the full flavour is there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes !

Guys

Just made the BYO Dec 2010 version with some minor adjustments based on feedback from the Homebrew talk forum. My brothers missus is from Colorado and her folks are coming over in a week, so I brewed this version. Its all grain but you could sub the Pale malt with equivalent DME or LME... I let her try some the other nite not telling her what I brewed and she said mmmh tastes a little fat tire like..... so she thought it was a bit sweeter than the real thing so maybe the mash temp needs adjustment..... I reckons it not a bad drop.... I drank a few when where visited last year and went up to the brewery in Ft Collins as well a few others ......... looking at the website ABV is 5.2%

FLAT TIRE (21 L) All Grain

OG : 1.049
FG : 1.010
ABV: 5.2%
IBU : 20.2
Color : 23 EBC

3.10 KG Pale Malt (Marris Otter)
0.66 KG Munich 1
0.42 KG Victory Malt
0.25 KG Crystal Dark (240EBC)

11g Target @ 11% for 60 Minutes
15g Willamette @ 5,5% for 10 minutes
13g East Kent Goldings for 0 minutes

US05

Mash at 66

Also the forum in the US recommended toasting some pale malt 1KG for 30 minutes....... I didnt do it...... not that you could do it with an extract recipe anyhow.

Very interested in how this turns out...... Michael Connelly, in particular his Harry Bosch books, rock!!!!
I don't read many books but Connelly's are very difficult to put down.

unclebarrel said:
Hey jhay,
I have consumed plenty of Fat Tyre on a trip to the states a few years back, killer drop ! I loved it, drank many many pints one night....I was a little wobbly !!!!!
I have not looked into brewing it, but I will be very curious as to how your clone comes out.

I may be way off here, but I was under the impression that the Fat Tyre I was drinking over in Oregon was around 7 or 8 %, your recipe will produce 4.9%.
That of course wont matter if the full flavour is there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes !
I did the calculation on Brewmate and it comes in at 5.08%.Not as strong as the original but strong enough..

Ah, I am very possibly wrong in my thinking.
I do, however, remember it to be a cracking brew.

Good luck again.

Was a long time ago.

Just remember it being very nice.

They serve New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale in the bleachers at AT&T Park, San Francisco. The home of the SF Giants. I had a few there one cold Summer night.

I got a box from Costco. Liked the label - pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and I also have one of these:
New_belgium_jersey.jpg

What other interesting beers do they have at costco?

tiprya said:
What other interesting beers do they have at costco?
Not many. New Belgium is as interesting as they get.

Back