Fat *******'s Rig.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
I've been slowly gathering parts to build my rig over the past 6 months or so. I had a pretty specific design breif to make it harder for myself. The rig had to be mobile, had to fit into as small a space as possible and had to utilise my old MLT and Kettle. Most of the parts have been salvaged from the scrap bin at work with the blessing of management. The major purchase was a couple of pumps, a couple of elements & other small elecrical bits and some valves and fittings. I haven't kept tabs on what it's cost, but it wasn't terribly expensive. It's certainly not as flash or pro looking as some of the rigs posted up of late, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

This is what it looks like:

IMG_1293_zps1e8a1e55.jpg

I've used a mix of hard plumbed stainless tube with tri-clovers, and silicone tubing, the theory being the hard pluming will hold the vessels in place when pushing it in and out of the shed. The HLT holds 80l and the two up top are 36l, for a brew length of 23l. During the comissioning process I found that the electronic speed controls I have for modulating the pumps are next to useless, and I'll now need to plumb in a couple of valves to control the recirc and transfer. The third pump is for a powered whirlpool, and eventually will pump through a hop rocket of my own design. The stand is another scrap bin job, and required a fair bit of mucking around with to make suitable for use. Looks ok in the pics, but is a bit tatty in real life, and has quite a few unwanted holes etc.

IMG_1294_zpsce0ff8be.jpg

Close up of the control box. I need to tidy this up a bit with some nice labels for everything. The black dot near the middle knob is the point at which the recirc pump starts to work. At this point it runs too fast for sparging, but should be ok for recirculating. Need to do a bit more work here, but a couple of valves will get me going. All electrical components bar the speed control were salvaged, as was the box itself, hence the slightly off-centre hole array, which utilises the holes that were in it when I found it. The rest I cut myself using a hydraulic sheet metal punch.

IMG_1292_zps2b8e7acb.jpg

The HX nestles in behind the control box and utilises a HERM-IT coil and a custom made element from Istra Elements of Caringbah NSW. Under 100 bucks for a custom element is astounding value. They also did the element in my kettle ages ago. IF you need an element, give em a call!

IMG_1297_zps38358ad9.jpg

The HLT recirculates and features a large Tel Tru dial thermometer, because it looks good, and I had it lying around. This vessel was also a scrap bin find and looks vastly improved by the insulation! I wanted a large HLT so I could heat a large volume of water to cover the mash and sparge and then have some left over to recirc through the MLT while the boil is happening. Should shorten my brew day a little. The intention is to treat the whole volume to obtain the correct water profile.

IMG_1299_zps7a785ec2.jpg

Close up of one of the controllers and indicator lamp. These Omrons are tiny and offer full PID control. The manual is huge and they can do things I don't even understand, let alone want them to do. Full PID control with auto and self tuning.

Well thats it at the moment. I need to put a couple of valves in to control the recirc/sparge/transfer but I'll be brewing on it in a couple of weeks. It should be clean, I recirculated strong PBW through it at 70 degrees for about 6 hours and then strong starsan for another 6 on Saturday. Only discovered about half a dozen leaks too! :( It still needs some tidying up to be complete, but first I need to actually do a brew on it, I've been waiting too long!

Cheers for the inspiration and assistance!

FB.

WOW!!

Just wow.

I pride myself on being smart or more so making smart comments... but.. trumped here.

******* great work FB - looks awesome, mate.

Looks just fantastic. Continually amazed by the ingenuity of home brewers, and you've just raised the bar again.

I know it's a bit tedious to do, but I'd love a detail of your brew day process if you ever get around to it.

cheers

That HEX is the sexiest I've seen, was it a custom build, or another fortunate find in the scrap bin? I'm sure there's plenty of hermit users eyeing that off.

Thanks cock! High praise indeed!

mb^2 will document the brew day, mostly so I remember how to do it again.

MB, the HX tin is yet another scrap bin find, originally was a piece of SS ducting with a flared end. It needed a plate welding in where the cone joins the tube, and a polish, but I do agree it looks sexy as he'll and is probably my favourite bit of the brewery!

Awesome, Rig.. Love the how compact it is.. How do you find those two pumps (think they're from nev)? work well?

How long is your probe that sits on your HEX? If i remember those probes are pretty long.. I've had issues with having probes pointed down into the HEX..the problems was the probe end was way to long and went INSIDE the herms coil and the surrounding water threw off my readings when the water within the HEX was heating up / cooling down. We had to change the probe placement.

-Gav

Fat ******* said:
It's certainly not as flash or pro looking as some of the rigs posted up of late, but I'm pretty pleased with it.
Custom stainless HERMS cover, three way valves, all-stainless, aluminium control box, stainless hard piping, 3 x non-budget pumps, Omron PIDs. Not flash? Whatever. It's a ripper.

gava said:
Awesome, Rig.. Love the how compact it is.. How do you find those two pumps (think they're from nev)? work well?

How long is your probe that sits on your HEX? If i remember those probes are pretty long.. I've had issues with having probes pointed down into the HEX..the problems was the probe end was way to long and went INSIDE the herms coil and the surrounding water threw off my readings when the water within the HEX was heating up / cooling down. We had to change the probe placement.

-Gav
Yep, the pumps are ultimisers from Nev. seem to work well enough pumping PBW around. Apparently they're not easy to block, being a vortex pump. We shall see what happens next time I chuck 250g of hops into the whirlpool!

The PT 100 probe is the short one, about an inch long. It just reaches into the tee fitting. I've seen a few different types around though. Will see of I have a pic of it.

Fat ******* said:
Yep, the pumps are ultimisers from Nev. seem to work well enough pumping PBW around. Apparently they're not easy to block, being a vortex pump. We shall see what happens next time I chuck 250g of hops into the whirlpool!

The PT 100 probe is the short one, about an inch long. It just reaches into the tee fitting. I've seen a few different types around though. Will see of I have a pic of it.
Oh nice, the ones i've seen had about a 200mm probe end which would really dick around your temperature readings being IN the hex.

-gav

Nice work Fat *******. That HX is a thing of beauty. What wattage is the element? Where do you fill it from? Sorry if this has been covered, was too busy staring at the pics!

Just noticed 3 pumps - no messing around!

Nice rig FB, wish I had access to so many awesome 'scraps'

Pretty much no chance you'll block one of those pumps. I've had full hop flowers pass through mine & it just kept purring along

Camo6 said:
Nice work Fat *******. That HX is a thing of beauty. What wattage is the element? Where do you fill it from? Sorry if this has been covered, was too busy staring at the pics!

Just noticed 3 pumps - no messing around!
All elements are 2400w. It's a little uderpowered, but the only relays we could find were 10A, and I don't have a big circuit in the house or shed at the mo. The lid comes off the top for filling. It fights quite tightly, but has a few gaps so steam can escape. I didn't get any during the comissioning, so I probably wont during a brew. Ramp times seemed a little slow when running the pumps flat out, but got under a degree in 40 seconds with it wound back to recirc speed. I'll take some more pics of it apart when I do a brew.

breakbeer said:
Nice rig FB, wish I had access to so many awesome 'scraps'

Pretty much no chance you'll block one of those pumps. I've had full hop flowers pass through mine & it just kept purring along
Awesome, this is what I want to hear. I managed to block the March I was using for whirlpooling with a 250g pellet addition. Wasn't that a major pain! And yes, I'm bloody lucky to have access to a scrap bin and decent workshop. I've had a few helpers along the way too. I owe 'em a beer!

Hopefully the weather is fine this weekend so I can drive it properly!

Hey FB, the level gauge on your HLT. Is it air tight capped on top, or is that a little breather?

I have mine set up similar but I just sit a small cap on top, when I'm boiling the water to kill the nasties before I use it to mash, the level gauge will spew out water every now and then, but if I capped it air tight it would no doubt get air locks and give an in correct reading.

Just wondering how u went about it, hard to tell what the little chrome lid on top is in the pic.

Cheers,
Shaun

P.s. Awesome set up.

Thanks Shaunous. The sight tube is an off the shelf item, but yes, the little cap on top has an approximately 1.5mm breather hole in it. Seems to work. I don't think it needs to be air tight at any point, although if you were worried about spillage or making sure the fluid in the glass could recirculate, it wouldn't be too hard to make the top return to the vessel with some fittings.

Yeh, I would probably have the fittings here to join it back into the vessel, but I was being lazy, and liking the idea of removing a cap and cleaning the sight glass without fukin around undoing things that would probably leak afterwards taking Murphies Law into consideration.

Cheers.

Managed to get home before it got dark tonight, so here's a few of the HX. I can't speak highly enough of Nev's Herm-It coil. Cheap and it just works. This one was doing duty inside my old HX, which was a 2000w Aldi 8l urn.
The new HX holds 3l brimming full, and 2.5 l at working volume. The element is custom made to be as low as possible in the vessel, and is outstandingly well made. It cost 95 bucks and the maker (Istra Elements) even drilled holes and mounted it up for me & tested it to make sure it worked before handing it over. Again, can't speak hightly enough of these guys. 2400w.

The vessel is made from a piece of duct, with very crappy tig welding from me. I should have purged the vessel with argon but didn't bother, and the result can be seen in the internal pic. Still, it's watertight, and because it's inside the vessel, no one will ever know except me and you and the gate-post. I made the lid too, from random piece of scrap stainless. It looks and works a lot better than the Aldi Urn!

The coil is held in place by some heavy duty cable glands, and all fittings are stainless. Ramp times seem very good, but the test will come with a proper grain bill.

081_zps81d4b08b.jpg
080_zpsb21e855c.jpg
41571dc2-80a3-4ee5-8b68-65f87fa967e3_zps0d8ef06b.jpg
083_zps7319196d.jpg

Ha, tried to like that post twice. Looks very tidy, wouldn't surprise me if Nev calls that element mob and organises a sweet deal...

A thing of beauty. Well made FB.

Havent seen that type of electrical thermowells since I worked with CSG out in central QLD. Flash for a home brewery :)

Latest posts

Back