Fastest Ferment Ever!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Get a load of this:
On Saturday @ 1300hrs I put down a ESB Extra Special Stout with DCL S-04 (I THINK) Yeast. Did nothing special, just rehydrated yeast and pitched at 23deg in 19 litres of water, and fermented at 20deg.
On Sunday morning there had been foam spewing out the airlock so i cleaned up and put a fresh airlock in.
Got home from work Monday arvo and nothing. In 2 days gravity had gone from 1042 to 1014. So i racked it and now what should i do? I guess i will just leave for a couple of weeks then bottle.
Thats what i call a fast ferment, any reason why or is this just what happens with this style of beer.

Hey SJW,

If you look at the DCL web site: www.dclyeast.co.uk
It tells you that wort will attenuate to 1.008-1.012 within 2-3days.
Read Info below:

S_04%20graph.gif

Safale S-04 - Top quality Ale yeast
(Saccharomyces cerevisiae)

This well-known English Ale strain exhibits fast fermentation with unique sedimentation properties, helping to improve beer clarity. In the recommended temperature range of 18C-24C, the Safale S-04 will attenuate the wort down to 1008-1012 within 2 or 3 days. The ideal yeast to produce the best Ales!

Hope this helps. :ph34r:

Well tie me to an ant hill and smear my ears with jam, BarneyG i guess everything is on track then. Thanks bud.

Latest posts

Back