Fast krasuen build then dissapeared?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_27

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I put on a 2L starter of 3068 last night. It's on a stirplate in a temp controlled fridge with the probe taped and insulated to the side of the flask set at 23C. Sometime overnight, the fridge has tripped the circuit breaker and everything turned off. I checked on it this morning and the temp showed about 9C and there was a decent krausen of an inch or 2. I turned everything back on and as soon as the stirrer started up, the krausen started building. To bump up the temp, I turned on the heater on the stirplate which is not controlled at all, so I dont know how hot it gets. The krausen built right up almost as I watched and a small bit leaked out the top of the flask. I monitored the temp controller and turned the heater off at 22C. I checked again at this point, about 30 mins all up, and the krausen had dropped right back down to an inch or so. Is this normal or is it possible the heater killed the yeast? I thought it would be ok since the solution was all spinning and mixing rather than sitting on the heater...
Cheers!

Your 3068 can brew down to 15C or so, so would have saturated the starter with CO2 once the stir plate stopped. If it only got to 22C then I would say the yeast is fine and what happened was the krausen you saw was the affect of CO2 being forced out of solution by the initial action of the stir plate. I don't have one (yet, but I will get one. oh yes I will :question:), but my understanding is if the stir plate is left on (EDIT: not your heater) you won't get much or any krausen as the CO2 is being forced out continuously in exchange with air, so not producing much foam.

Back