Fast Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
If you are ever in the situation where you need a brew to be a quick turnaround (eg. you have a party in 2 weeks time) and you've got nothing in the pipeline, try some of these recipes from the Brewboard FAQ - Fast Brews

Fast Brews from Brewboard

Cheers
Boots

Thanks Boots.

I was actually reading this earlier myself. Looks like I'm not the only Brewboard lurker. :D

The Oat Malt Pale Mild sounds like a real cracker. :beerbang:

Warren -

I managed to knock out a drinkable SPFA in 14 days grain to brain recently. Brewed on a saturday, a week in primary at 20C then fermenter in the fridge for four days at 5C kegged/gassed straight from the primary for three days then all drunk the second saturday after brewday!

Any of you bottlers have a quick turnaround? I think you'd just about have to put the bottles somewhere warm for a week to make any progress on that front.

"Mild:"

10 Litres

550g JW Light Munich
100g British crystal 95-115L
50g Australian chocolate
700g Light dry malt extract
15g Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Styrian Goldings (5.5% AA, 15 min.)

Bitterness: 22 IBU
OG: 1.034
FG: 1.008

This was ready in 14 days. 6 days in primary then prime and bottle for 8 days. Was a fantastic beer after 2 weeks in the bottle.

While we're flaunting Milds PoMo.

Here's one I tapped yesterday. 19 days grain to brain. :beerbang: Not too bad a drop at all for a 3.6 ABV beer. :beer:

Warren -

Mild

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

11-A English Brown Ale, Mild

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.038
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 31 Max Clr: 65 Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 44.00 Wort Size (L): 44.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.66
Anticipated OG: 1.038 Plato: 9.41
Anticipated EBC: 43.3
Anticipated IBU: 20.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.9 6.50 kg. Powells Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.037 4
6.5 0.50 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 194
3.9 0.30 kg. TF Amber Malt UK 1.033 133
3.9 0.30 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 671
0.8 0.06 kg. TF Black Malt UK 1.033 1707

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 5.7 75 min.
15.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Plug 4.10 0.9 10 min.
45.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Plug 4.10 12.8 60 min.
15.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Plug 4.10 0.7 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

Mine has Mild in ""'s because of the Munich. Yours looks like a pretty good example of the genuine style.

PoMo.

Nothing wrong with Munich in a Mild. Low grav beer needs all the "malt assistance" it can gain. Your's pretty much looks the goods. :beerbang:

Yeast is paramount too. Don't want a strain that dries the whole thing out too much.

Warren -

I agree that mild recipes need to punch the malt flavour up especially as I part mash, but I had some hardline pommy style nazi drag me over the coals once for calling it a Mild.

Pommy Nazi !?! Now that would have been an oxymoron 60 years ago! :lol:

Betcha he still didn't knock back a glass. :D

Warren -

I was reading somewhere about mild ale malt and thought that munich would make a good substitute for it anyway. Thanks for the inspiration as I think its time to brew one and I will have no fears about calling it a mild!

ausdb said:
I was reading somewhere about mild ale malt and thought that munich would make a good substitute for it anyway. Thanks for the inspiration as I think its time to brew one and I will have no fears about calling it a mild!
[post="78801"][/post]​

As much as I resented the annoying pom hassling my recipe, (or was it just a comment of mine to add Munich to improve flavour?? memory fails) I think it would be against the standards of old English brewers. It is more common to add brown sugar for extra flavour, I've heard.

Anyway, whether my beer is a Mild or not, it tasted bloody good less than two weeks after pitching yeast, so I call it a piss easy quick brew, regardless. Brewed this ages ago, and I think my Dad still has a bottle in his fridge. Might twist his arm to share it with me this Frinight.

Taken from Lines big book of brewing
"Mild ale malt, which tends to give a fuller flavoured beer, is kilned at a higher temperature and results in a darker coloured malt with restricted diastatic activity"
Munich seem to fit the bill reasonably well I think

Back