Fare thee well, kit and kilo!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dan

Reaction score
As I slowly get my bits and pieces together to start doing BIAB, I thought I should clear out the cupboard and use up the last of the tins and whatnot lying around. So, with the kids at daycare and the missus out shopping, I threw down a Coopers Mexican Cerveza with a few extras:

Coopers Mexican Cerveza
Coopers brew enhancer 2
300 grams steeped crystal grain
50 grams dextrose (really was clearing out the cupboard!)
15g galaxy at 20 min
10g Williamette at 15 min
15g Amarillo at 15 min
15g Galaxy at 5 minutes
Pitched safale US 05 at 20 degrees

In hindsight, I probably could have upped the boil time for the Williamette for a bit more bitterness, but I'm hoping for a nice easy drinking beer with a fair bit of aroma, which should be ready to drink while I do my first BIAB!!
Anyone got any thoughts on this? The sample tastes pretty bloody good and smells wonderful. I have a bit more galaxy, and am still tossing up whether I should dry hop with it, as I always see mixed reviews of it when dry hopped.

Regarding dry hopping, I never do. I add what ever hops that I would normally dry hop at flame out.

I can't smell myself, but anyone else who drink my beers say that there is plenty of aroma.

Keg or bottles?

If you keg, you have the option of keg hopping if it's not up to scatch, little more difficult to adjust if it's bottles.

I'm more worried about the grassy taste I've read some people complain about when dry hopping with galaxy there's already plenty of aroma, but a bit more wouldn't hurt anyone.... Maybe just the beer.

Good point Yob. I haven't used my kegs yet, was gonna wait for BIAB, but you may have just sold me!

Have you ever tasted this grassiness that some hops can give in some circumstances? There are styles where it is appropriate and I quite like a little in the right beer. Don't just fear something because someone else said they didn't like it. Just make reasonable additions and you can't really break a beer - it might just be outside of your preferences and you won't know where they begin and end unless you try to push them a little.

Yeah, I have, but I think it was more my brewing technique than anything else. I'm not overly worried, it's beer, I'll drink it, and most likely enjoy it. I'm leaning towards dry hopping, it will be one of my last kit and kilos, so things will be looking up no matter how it turns out!

Dry hop !!

Re: Dry hopping with Galaxy, think Stone & Wood Pacific Ale & maybe Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Do you like the passionfruity smell of the Galaxy?
If so, throw an extra 15-30g at day 5-7.
If not, or like it but not a huge amount, then probably don't bother - save the Galaxy for next time.
Galaxy can be quite strong, that's all; so some people find it easily overpowering. I love it, so i'd definitely dry hop with it. B)

Back