• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

FAQ Team?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
As you can see the current FAQ is pretty crude and was quickly drafted to have something to start the board with. Desapite only being 4 days old, the board has over 50 members and I am looking at using some of that knowledge is putting together an official www.aussiehomebrewer.com F.A.Q.

If you are want to help out, please show intrest in this thread.

There will be various sections (preparation, fermenting, racking, kegging, bottling, etc) so hopefully we can pool some of the knowledge and put together a details F.A.Q. to help out the new brewers (including me).

badg3er

Reaction score
Okies: my suggestions for FAQ topics
1) terms (deciphering brew-speak is difficult for us noobs)
2) explanation of ingredients and what they do, different effects / tastes / brew processes required
3) basic brew process explained (not how to do it - but what happens)
4) basic brew process - how to do it
5) advanced brew processes - how and why
6) bottling - glass / pet / cask / etc

mebe that is getting too focused in each thing --- but each is important over the scheme of things, and you could write pages on each topic with everyones experience i bet

RegBadgery

Reaction score
There are many brewing info sources online - could provide links to already existing resources.

cheers
reg

bL@De

Reaction score
I'd be willing to help out, sure my knowledge is fairly limited as I'm still learning like the vast majority of us but we'll get there together.

As RegBadgery said the sources out there are everywhere, just a matter of finding some good one's and posting some links for people to read. I am still reading the John Palmer one http://www.howtobrew.com which came from one of you guys out there and I think it's great reading.

No doubt I'll be reading over the Christmas break as well as drinking a few beers' and then a few more.

dane

Reaction score
Yeah the good old http://www.howtobrew.com is a classic - and where I did (and still do) a lot of my reading.

I would like to list other online resources but also but together local FAQ's for the site.

When I have finished the new portal, I well email/PM everyone that is interested and time permitting we can start to put together some ideas.

badg3er

Reaction score
i have already started putting something together --- will post when ready for the hordes to critic

PistolPatch

Reaction score
As there's been a bit of interest in improving the FAQ sections on AHB recently I thought I'd BUMP this and throw the following idea in. It may help gather information for the 2 beginner FAQ's that have been started by Pint as well as the Wickipedia idea Dane came up with recently to consolidate info for all brewing levels.

I was thinking that a new thread could be started in The Common Ground called, 'Excellent Threads.'

There are so many well-written valuable posts that have been buried in AHB, I think it could work well if people who came across an excellent post could recommend it in the above thread using the following layout. I'll use a post I came across recently as an example and which Pint has since been able to use in the, 'Outline to Using AHB Website.'

SAMPLE POST

Just came across an excellent post by als-world!

Subject: How to post pictures to AHB and re-size them.

Where: It is Post#28 of this thread

Who It Will Help/Comments: New AHB Members. This is a great post for those who have never posted pics on AHB before.

End of Sample Post

While the above sample relates to new AHB members, posts could also be recommended that related to first time AG'ers, experienced AG'ers, experienced Kits etc., etc.

Apart from being a handy way to gather great info which may in turn be placed into an FAQ section, it would also be the first thread that one could look at when doing a search on a subject.

I've read so many excellent posts on AHB on all subjects and it would be nice to give the writer credit and more permanently anchor their information.

Some Problems with This Idea: I realise that occassionally someone will recommend an average post rather than an excellent one. I also realise that people will post to such a topic with comments on someone's recommendations which would make the whole thread a mess.

To solve both these problems maybe a second thread could be started called, "Excellent Posts - Your Comments"? (Sure, some people will still post to the main thread when they shouldn't but hopefully these posts could be quickly moved to the, "Your Comments," thread.) Having this second thread will also quickly determine just how good people find an individual recommendation.

I've been pondering on the above for a few weeks now and I can't really see any downside to doing the above but I may have missed something obvious so I'll leave it to the powers that be to follow through on this idea if it does have value.

[For those of you who managed to glimpse my first attempt at bumping this before I quickly deleted it this morning, I hope you got a laugh! I couldn't even understand what I'd written!]

sah

Reaction score
PistolPatch said:
I was thinking that a new thread could be started in The Common Ground called, 'Excellent Threads.'
[post="118714"][/post]​
I like the idea, however as the thread grows and more excellent threads come along and get added we'll end up with references to similar topics scattered throughout the "Excellent Threads" thread :)

I think a wiki page (or pages) would be better suited to this. I'm sure Sosman wouldn't mind creating a section on brewiki.org for this?

It'd be nice to be able to link to other references too such as other forums, online journal articles etc. Of course this can be done in either format.

Cheers
Scott

PistolPatch

Reaction score
Thanks Scott. Your post has certainly triggered a few more thoughts!

For example, I hadn't thought of adding links to websites etc in this thread but I reckon that would be a great idea.

As for the wicki being a better way of approaching the above, from what I understand of it, I agree. Setting up a wicki could take some time though and may not even be practical for Dane etc. Even if it is practical, then I still think the above would be a great way to start to collect information for it or, as I mentioned, for threads that already exist such as Pint's FAQ's or DOC's Frequently Requested Links/Topics. If the wicki does not eventuate then at least the above would be a basic consolidation of great info. Administratively, all it requires is for admin or a mod to start the 2 threads.

I also hadn't thought about several posts being recommended on the same subject. I don't think this would be a problem though. Just as a matter of interest, I just did a search on the word sanitiser and 225 posts were returned as results! Rather than wading through all these, I'd love to read 5 or even ten, 'excellent posts,' on the subject so I don't think that this would be a disadvantage so much.

Another advantage to the above idea would be that for those who only occassionally use AHB or log on once a week, reviewing the Excellent Post thread would be a very quick way of seeing if they've missed anything important or a post of great value. Hence, the thread could act as not only a primary filter for good info but also a digest as several excellent posts are usually made here each week.

One final thought. I just had an idea that may assist in the thread being posted to properly and therefore staying easy to read. I was wondering if a postscript could automatically be added to any post made to this topic that said something like, "When posting to this thread, please follow the format given in Post#1 [i.e. Subject, Where, Who Does It Help etc]. If you wish to comment on the above recommendation please do so in the following thread Excellent Posts - Your Comments"

Cheers
PP

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
PistolPatch said:
Excellent Posts - Your Comments"

Cheers
PP
[post="118745"][/post]​
Up nice and early PP

Linky link doesn't seem to be working.
Keep up this good work, I might finally learn how to use this site :blink:

Normell

PistolPatch

Reaction score
Howdy Normell. Up early, up late and too much work in between.

Re the linky link, sorry mate I just meant it as an example so no amount of clicking will make that bugger work! Maybe next week - fingers crossed!

Latest posts