Fantome dark white

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Grabbed a bottle down at berry ( epic bottle shop if $$ is no object lol ! ). Pretty damn nice, a little milder than I’d expected but really easy to drink. Amber coloured saison, medium bodied and nice fruit without bring over the top.

Marcus @shacked is a big user of the Fantome yeast. I've tried a few he has made with it and they were great, particularly a RIS.

It's a seasonal release yeast, the RIS was nice a dry. Will need to keep an eye out for it.

Grabbed a bottle down at berry ( epic bottle shop if $$ is no object lol ! ). Pretty damn nice, a little milder than I’d expected but really easy to drink. Amber coloured saison, medium bodied and nice fruit without bring over the top.

Marcus @shacked is a big user of the Fantome yeast. I've tried a few he has made with it and they were great, particularly a RIS.

It's a seasonal release yeast, the RIS was nice a dry. Will need to keep an eye out for it.

Interesting! I have 3726 for starters but the fantome was really well balanced between fruit and phenols, I really enjoyed it. I’ll keep that in mind. You and bloody RIS!!! Haha

If that is wyeast 3725 I have used that before in a biere de garde which I definately enjoyed. Too many to choose from!

Ahhhh Fantome! They use a house sacc strain but have so much bacteria, brett, wild sacc and all sorts of other stuff in their beer. I've had 2 bottles from the same batch that have been completely different! I have a mixed culture that originated from Fantome that I've gone 7 generation on (including 500L in barrel at 5 Baz); that you are welcome to harvest from.

Once we do the bottle release from the brewery, I was going to get some of the sour beer fans together to do a vertical of all 7 batches.

East Coast Yeast have done a Fantome sacc isolate that I've never seen in Australia.

I'm connected with Dany on FB so can ask him any other questions that you may have!

Last edited:

Not quite! The RIS was the gulden draak sacc strain! However, I do have a mixed culture RIS in secondary at the moment that uses a blend of my fantome and wildflower cultures; should be ready for Gino's 2020.

Sorry, you are correct. That gulden draak was the one that made great RIS. Which wyeast or white labs number is it?

Is that also the strain you used @shacked for the candy syrup experiment?

Not quite! The RIS was the gulden draak sacc strain! However, I do have a mixed culture RIS in secondary at the moment that uses a blend of my fantome and wildflower cultures; should be ready for Gino's 2020.

Sorry, you are correct. That gulden draak was the one that made great RIS. Which wyeast or white labs number is it?

Is that also the strain you used @shacked for the candy syrup experiment?

Yes it is! I made all the syrup beers, a RIS, a wheat stout, blonde, the shoalhaven barrel beer etc with it. I got 12 batches from 1 pack. Attenuation was about 85%-90% for most batches.

It's WYEAST 3739PC: http://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/flanders-golden-ale

Is there any way to predict release of wyeast pc strains?

What was the temp the RIS was fermented at? Was free.of any fusely taste.

Released in Q3 to coincide with the northern hemisphere summer.

Pitched a whole cake in at 22/23C and ramped up to 28C. It went from 1.090 to 1.006 in 6 days and was carbonated in 3 days. Beer was mashed at 64C for 3 hours and 1kg out of 30kg was cane sugar.

I find you need to push Belgian yeasts a lot harder than most folks think but use a heat + cold source to control temp fluctuations. Scotty and I recently did a Kweik and pitched in at 37C! I do my saisons at 30C+.

Back