Fantastic Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiddler

Reaction score
Gotta love it when you make some changes to the way you brew and it all goes to plan.

My Marga mill has been giving me the Sh#%s for a while now, not feeding fast enough so I finally did the mod to it as discussed here. I took a guess as to the hole location and did not measure like said but it works a treat now. Was worried about the crush being too fine and with a grain bill of 40% wheat was worried about a stuck sparge. No stuck sparge and a very good lauter.

Have also been thinking I need a wind guard around my burner as I'm only getting 4 or 5, 1 hour boils out of a gas cylinder. Yes I was heating the garage more than the kettle. 4 ring burner flat out an adjustable reg about half way. I couldn't find any sheet steel or empty steel drum, but did have a large piece of 300 micron mesh. Put around the burner it stopped 90% of the wind and the best thing I ran the burner only on the 3rd and 4th ring with the reg on low. Gas savings.

Anyway the next noob that asks questions about saving time and money these are the best 2 I have made so far.

Drew

Anyway the next noob that asks questions about saving time and money these are the best 2 I have made so far.

While your at it, can you find a solution as to why my kegs are emptying twice as fast as they used to?! B)

While your at it, can you find a solution as to why my kegs are emptying twice as fast as they used to?! B)

ha ha, yeah i'm very hesitant to make another smurto golden ale for that very reason. quite clearly there was an evaporation issue in the boiler, its the only logical conclusion... :rolleyes:

matt

You beat me to it matt. Evaporation. It should slow down if you make darker fuller beers, AKA Winter Warmers. Thoe evaporation will rise again as weather warms up. OR Have you just picked up some "Beer Bludgers" that conveniently drop round most afternoons at beer o'clock? Harder to get rid of than a blowie at a BBQ.

Drew

You beat me to it matt. Evaporation. It should slow down if you make darker fuller beers, AKA Winter Warmers. Thoe evaporation will rise again as weather warms up. OR Have you just picked up some "Beer Bludgers" that conveniently drop round most afternoons at beer o'clock? Harder to get rid of than a blowie at a BBQ.

Drew

ha ha, purposely dont make friends so as to not have beer bludgers :D . either that or my lack of personality drives them away :huh: , either way i'm on a winner!!

matt

quote - Feeling sick? There is possibly to much blood in your alcohol system!

by the way drew, great sig, pretty sure thats my problem too :lol:

matt

Latest posts

Back