Fanboys - These Members

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I'm not sure if his has been said before and I have not searched it. I have only been on this sight for a few months but I have noticed a few people with a profusion of knowledge that I would like to name, I'd like to make a thread for noobs and experts alike to be able to google and sort through the crap to find real answers that work off those people that have posted great threads on on all topics from buying grain to pitching yeast.
There is so much info on this site but how much is real and how much is hear say?

Maybe the makers and the people running this site can collimate a "thread of knowledge" where only subjects of brewing from grain to glass is discussed with all the great knowledgable threads piled into one under one word.

It's doable and would save a lot of people a lot of time. Might even become a book.....just kidding I seen that thread! :ph34r:

I reckon thats a pretty good idea actually. Not sure how it would be implemented, and who decides what is a worthy post in a thread, but in a perfect world this idea would be a good one.

I reckon thats a pretty good idea actually. Not sure how it would be implemented, and who decides what is a worthy post in a thread, but in a perfect world this idea would be a good one.
I actually wanted to name a few people on here but thought it would be inappropriate for one reason or another but if a lot of people go for the idea then why not get all the info together on here and listen ONLY to the people who know what the **** they are on about? Everyone is alway on about, did you search??!! Even when you do search you get put down by some fools who probably cant even brew good beer anyway. I just think it would make life easier for all and if the guys or girls running this website want to make it better that would be great.

Hi Gav

There are a few problems with this idea. e.g.
There are plenty of people who like to quote seemingly valid information as gospel but down the track you realise that they have never experimented and there are 10 other ways to do the same thing that are just as good.
Not everybody is an expert at everything. Even the search touting gooses come up with a gem of an idea sometimes.
There are plenty of lurkers here with loads on knowledge. High post count doesn't equal good advice.
etc....

I reckon that you need to take advice from here with a grain of salt no matter who it is from.

Cheers

maybe if there is a way for people to like a post and it shows up below the question as a recommended answer?? prob very hard to implement and it would mean a whole forum over haul even if it was possible.

Hi Gav

There are a few problems with this idea. e.g.
There are plenty of people who like to quote seemingly valid information as gospel but down the track you realise that they have never experimented and there are 10 other ways to do the same thing that are just as good.
Not everybody is an expert at everything. Even the search touting gooses come up with a gem of an idea sometimes.
There are plenty of lurkers here with loads on knowledge. High post count doesn't equal good advice.
etc....

I reckon that you need to take advice from here with a grain of salt no matter who it is from.

Cheers

+1

Always take advice with a grain of salt, and high post cost means nothing. There is one member who's PM'ed me, and I've helped him out, but his post count is almost as high as mine in less membership time.

And also, there is some advice given over PM, which never makes it to the forum, but probably really valid.

Goomba

Dare I say, I think you might need to invest in a couple of books instead. I know that answer is the equivalent to "do a search", but at least you don't have pages of bitchfighting and bickering in the middle.
Plus, as already stated, take it with a grain of salt. Does the poster know what he's talking about? Or is he like me, cutting corners everywhere with a "she'll be right" attitude, then wondering what f##ked up. For this reason I stay out of 99% technical talk cos I don't know Jack. There's a lot smarter brewers out there... problem is half of them enjoy a good ol fashion nerdfight as well.

Dare I say, I think you might need to invest in a couple of books instead. I know that answer is the equivalent to "do a search", but at least you don't have pages of bitchfighting and bickering in the middle.
Plus, as already stated, take it with a grain of salt. Does the poster know what he's talking about? Or is he like me, cutting corners everywhere with a "she'll be right" attitude, then wondering what f##ked up. For this reason I stay out of 99% technical talk cos I don't know Jack. There's a lot smarter brewers out there... problem is half of them enjoy a good ol fashion nerdfight as well.

It is true that when ever you post something on here there is a possible 20,000+ members on here in which most of them are genuine and know what they are taking about but there are always people in the world that are going to cut you down and act as though their opinion is more worthy than yours.

My way of using this site is just filter through comments and only really take notice of the ones that work for you and always research something even if the person who told the information has made 57,000 posts and 28 barrels and has been on here for 19 years.... wow I think I am crapping on.... :lol:

i just click on the members names and go through all their old post's.
Just spent the other day reading all of Jayse's post, and have done the same with butters and a few other's.

Barrells can - not always - be indicative of wanting to engage with others in the forum as a whole (and with this many passionate musos, engineers, tradies, gamers etc etc littered throughout the site it's no wonder the off topic section can be a heap of fun). Obviously it's a big mistake to think it means anyone knows anything - this is the internet after all. BUT - really, it doesn't take long to find people who share similar palates to yourself and perhaps work on similar systems and then it makes the whole thing a lot easier. I only joined the site a few weeks before doing my first AG, and in that time I've gone from completely ignorant to semi-ignorant (which is only one small wrung above haha).

I certainly take everything with a pinch of salt, but my motto is 'give it a go'. Some people seem scared to just throw some grain and water together and then try some hops. Just have a go!!!! I have gained some good theoretical advice from this site, but nothing like just making beer has taught me. Then when you plateau, come back for some more theory (like new hops, water additions, different mash temps, whatever) and then go and apply it again. I would have gone mad if I was still trying to create 'the perfect' single infusion SMaSH beer, but I learn what I learn, try it again and move on.

Even better than this site - get to a swap or two, find others around that brew the way you do (AG/whatever) and if there is nothing happenning then make it happen. If you brew it, they will come... :beer:

Unfortunately there's no way to really do this. Some of the most useful people here are often ridiculed by so called experts because they think outside the square a bit or taylor their advice to their audience and simplify things etc. There are great brewers here that have never no chilled or BIAB'd and will talk smack about it but give useful advice in other threads. If you want to read the opinions of an authority your only real option is to read a book. Otherwise you'll have to deal with varying opinions. That's what forums are for after all.

A concerted effort to keep an FAQ/Wiki up to date would be a good idea though.

there are a few guides prepared by knowledgable members including a wiki I started with the exact thought. biggest problem is that people get sucked dry and tired of putting in the effort to put up info and its ignored and same questions asked.

however in saying that, if you or anyoine else wants to have another crack at getting it working, go for it

Brewing should be a journey. just like any other hobby.
You're supposed to stumble and fall, get up, work out what happened and learn from it.
It's supposed to be fun and relaxing. if you're stressing about getting everything right all the time, or losing sleep because of what someone said to you on an internet forum, maybe brewing isn't for you.

if you're only goal is to make consistent great beers and never **** up, then maybe brewing isn't for you.
People learn from trial end error, and making mistakes.... that's life folks.

Forums, books, other brewers are all sources of reference, not to be taken as gospel. So make up your own damd mind and travel your own path.
there are no "better brewers" there are only those that are further down a road than you, some go faster than others, some fall over more than others, some turn off and choose a different path altogether. Take what you need and discard the rest.

As far as advice goes on "How to" or "best method", The internet is not a single reliable source for anything, And if you do depend on a corner of the internet as a single source of information, you had better have thick internet skin.
but like anything that relies on community involvement, there is always wheat in the chaff and it will take the person looking for information to put some effort in to find it. Very rarely do people get what they're after with only putting in minimal effort.

That sounds all a little too philosophical for me...

P.S. Your extract beers are shit. :ph34r:

BF

Brewing should be a journey. just like any other hobby.
You're supposed to stumble and fall, get up, work out what happened and learn from it.
It's supposed to be fun and relaxing. if you're stressing about getting everything right all the time, or losing sleep because of what someone said to you on an internet forum, maybe brewing isn't for you.

if you're only goal is to make consistent great beers and never **** up, then maybe brewing isn't for you.

Forums, books, other brewers are all sources of reference, not to be taken as gospel. So make up your own damd mind and travel your own path.
there are no "better brewers" there are only those that are further down a road than you, some go faster than others, some fall over more than others, some turn off and choose a different path altogether. Take what you need and discard the rest.

As far as advice goes on "How to" or "best method", The internet is not a single reliable source for anything, And if you do depend on a corner of the internet as a single source of information, you had better have thick internet skin.
but like anything that relies on community involvement, there is always wheat in the chaff and it will take the person looking for information to put some effort in to find it. Very rarely do people get what they're after with only putting in minimal effort.

That sounds all a little too philosophical for me...

P.S. Your extract beers are shit. :ph34r:

BF
Quick, notify the Mods, some other person has hacked into BeerFingers account, and is posting rational, well thought out answers :lol:

Quick, notify the Mods, some other person has hacked into BeerFingers account, and is posting rational, well thought out answers :lol:

Hey!! that's not fair!
All my post's are well thought out!
They may not be rational, consistent or nice at times...
But all of them are well thought out.... :ph34r:

BF

Unfortunately there's no way to really do this. ...
Consider also the different paths to brewing - BIAB, 2V, 3V, HERMS, RIMS, Kit -
and different levels of equipment used make such an undertaking difficult. I imagine
a lot of people would have been keeping a collection of links to useful posts and
copies of pages, docs, etc relating to brewing so really up to each individual to
roll their own.

if you're only goal is to make consistent great beers and never **** up, then maybe
brewing isn't for you .People learn from trial end error, and making mistakes.... that's
life folks.
This would be a legit approach for some people - eg. those who have braumeisters
or time poor. Personally I like to have something more involved to play with so am
looking forward to a more hands on approach and learn from trial end error. Maybe
it would be different if I have had made over a hundred brews already - kind of like the
manual vs automatic car debate.

T.

After feeling the gut-wrenching agony of tipping a couple of AG batches down the drain, I would love to consistently make great beers and never **** up.

Back