Family friendly pub that serves decent beer in Canberra.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Is anybody can recommend one, I'l be more than happy to review it.

Doing the War Memorial, Questacon, Zoo / aquarium, Fyshwick etc roundabout with the kiddies. Hopefully not that mini railway thingie. Probably need a beer and a feed by the end of the day. Was hoping to do a little better than Sizzler..

If Plonk and Denman Cellars still trade I'm alright for take aways, so thats covered.
Priorities you see.

Cheers.

Tradies Club at Dixon (Good accommodation too) has a range of good beers and meals. I got stuck on James Squires Hop Thief . Also King O Mallies (?) has a nice drop and atmosphere.

The belgian cafe in kingston is good. There are one or two good ones in the 'city' but opening times are weird. The german club (forget it's name) has a very nice selection but is not amongst anything however close to city.

HAd one of my funniest nights at the German Club ...

The George Harcourt is pretty kid & family friendly. Bit ye-olde-worlde, but not too bad.

i havent heard much about it but bentspoke brewery? there's also brod burger which is pretty awesome and serve beers.

huez said:
i havent heard much about it but bentspoke brewery? there's also brod burger which is pretty awesome and serve beers.
Great beers at Bentspoke, but when I went for a feed and took my ferals cherubs aged 7 & 4 it was very crowded in the eating area upstairs and there wasn't much room for them to do anything apart from sit at the table and complain of boredom. So I dunno whether it fits the family friendly bill Dave was after.

Zierholz Brewery in Fyshwick has a little bit more room and is well worth a look, although I see Dave has crossed it off the list, presumably because fireworks are no longer available out that way.

Ed: clarity

We take the kids to Brodburger fairly regularly - get in early (before 6pm), there can be a bit of a wait otherwise - but they're serving some of the Anchor beers and a couple of other craft beer options. If the weather's nice you can sit outside while they run around a bit. It's close to Questacon, National Gallery etc.

BentSpoke is great, but possibly not too well set up for kids. Depends on what time you're there and if you've brought your own distractions for them. Also in Braddon there's Debacle, with a good range of European beer on tap. they do good pizzas.

Plonk is going strong, at the Fyshwick Markets, open Thursday-Sunday.

Edgar's Inn is a stone's throw from the Australian War Memorial (at the Ainslie shops), but might be a little limited on the beer selection.
The Duxton, in O'Connor (nee All Bar Nun), is bit bigger and has a bunch more taps.
Would be very interested to see a report on Bentspoke.

Apart from the ones mentioned, try the Fellows bar at the ANU. Very family friendly with wide outdoor lawns for running munchkins. Two-hour parking. Generally a craft beer or two on tap.

Tilley's in Lyneham is also good. Usually no decent craft on tap but often a European lager. Plenty of craft bottles though.

Strike a blow for the faithful and go to National Press Club bar and argue with the journos to advocate for lower beer taxes.

Is the Wig and Pen still open?

Looking for this too, as we'll stay in Canbeera on the trip back to Brissie in November.

Kid friendly means that the can eat or do something other than complain of boredom and you don't get glared down by Hipsters who think they own the craft beer revolution.

I've not been yet (shame on me) but you might want to check Bentspoke (which is where Richard from the Wig has moved on to)

This is going great! Look at all these places.

Not bothered by the hipsters since I pretty much dress in flannelette, jeans, boots and appear disheveled most of the time anyway. But I'll pop a novelty beard and pair of Ray Bans in my man purse just in case.

This place has craft bottles only, is full of hipsters but very laid back: http://www.frontgallerycafe.com/

Around the corner is a cheap and cheerful Chinese place with outdoor seating opposite a bottleshop. The restaurant is BYO including beer. Many a time I carried a sixer and a couple of times even a slab straight from the bottle-o over to our table. I have also brought home brew and they let us drink it in the restaurant, sans corkage. Good place. Here: http://www.meesing.com.au/

I'd probably steer clear of king o'malleys if I were you, especially on a Friday or Saturday night the place can get pretty chockers

Back