False Bottoms Vs Manifolds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what you packing?

• Braid/ easy hooker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Copper manifold

• False bottom

• Other

• Total voters

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
So what is the best?

I'm using braid at the moment, but seriously considering a move to false bottom, just cause they look good and there's less chance of the getting knocked loose during a vigirous stir... Got this one because it was cheap and esy to make.

What do you use, what have you found best, and why?

I voted braid. Not that ive found it better than any other setup, since its all ive used to date.

But i would expect a false bottom to lauter better than braid in a well fitted tun.

Tried Braid and a manifold. Both were a PITA.

Give me a false bottom any day

Just made my own false bottom for my mash tun two days ago so I would go for false, the systems ive all seen and brewed with have used false bottoms. Never been a problem as long as you drain slow to start.

I started with a manifold, but with the herms system I used to get the occasional stuck sparge so i switched to a false bottom and havent had problems since.

cheers

vl

Braid. Never any problems with sparging, easy to make and clean, cheap. I can't imagine I'd use anything else. KISS. :rolleyes:

i use a copper manifold. never had any problems.

I was a false bottom advocate for many years but always had problems with cloudy run off, I changed over to Braide and now have crystal clear run off. I also have yet to have a stuck sparge with the braide, sometimes I did with the false bottom if I drained to quickly.

Cheers
Andrew

I am looking to upgrade my rectangular esky/ braid setup to a false bottom in a "Keep Cool". Mainly in the interests of getting better efficency. My current mash tun gives an efficiency of about 60-65% which is pretty crap.

What efficiency are you guys getting with your various bottoms?

I doubt it's the braid in a rectangular cooler system that's giving you low efficiency. I mostly get in the 82-88% efficiency on just that set up.

How is your crush? Do you stir heaps? Any doughballs? Do you stir in the sparge water well (assuming you batch sparge)?

i use a copper manifold but after having it fall apart in a mash when i hit it with the mash paddle a little while ago causing a stuck sparge i'm thinking of upgrading to some strongflex S/S braid next time i'm at bunnings, especially since i'll have a proper all grain set up soon (no more half size batches) and people who use the braid seem to have pretty good efficiancy

I usually get 80% without much trouble using batch sparging.

Technique is the key to efficiency.

If you batch, use boiling water to sparge

I agree with Stuster 100%, efficiency is affected by grain crush, sparge technique(batch or fly), mash PH and in a very limited sense if batch sparging, your mash tun design, which would really only effect your eff if you fly sparge too quickly resulting in channeling and poor extraction.

Cheers
Andrew

I use a S/S false bottom. I used it for the first time last Friday (first AG). I had the valves fully open during recirculation with no problems. I also had the valves fully open transferring to the kettle (batch sparge).

S / S false bottom for me too - fly sparge ATM.

Will take the plunge and try and batch sparge on my next brew.

Latest posts

Back