False Bottom Or Tubing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefman

Reaction score
I was wondering what most people use in their Mash Tun's

False bottoms or a Copper tubing with slits cut in them.

Hot water PVC tubing with holes.
Picture shown here with the manifold upside down to show the holes.

Beers,
Doc

MLT_20manifold_20upside_20down.jpg

Bazooka. Not fancy, just a straight tube of ss termi mesh straight onto the tap. My beverage cooler has a bit of a recess in the bottom for the last droplets of liquid to collect. Works great, excellent efficiency.

Justin

Copper manifold with slots cut half way through, about 1cm apart.
At the time of construction it was going to cost me ~$100 <_< for a stainless steel false bottom, compared with probably 10bucks worth of bits. Works fine for me and many others on the forum. :p

Copper manifold with slots at 10mm.

Shawn.

False bottom made from bits we had lying around.

In my old small mash tun we used a manifold of copper tubing with slots cut in it. Also made from bits we had lying around.

Use whetever you have available. Or, buy the bits for whichever system feels right for you.

bazooka style set up but use braided s/s mesh.works a treat.

cheers
big d

I use copper tubes drilled with 1/8" holes rather than slots. Works great.

I read some HBD posts re false bottoms being more efficient due to more open area.

I like my manifold!

Jovial Monk

big d said:
bazooka style set up but use braided s/s mesh.works a treat.

cheers
big d
[post="46633"][/post]​
I'm with big d on this one. :beer:

cheers
johnno

Tun.JPG

Good Day
I have a couple of ss false bottoms that have replaced a couple of floating plastic false bottoms over the years. Couldn't be happier. Have to watch the sparge rate because it can become too quick.

Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="46608"][/post]​

Doc,
Have you had any chemical leaching tastes from the PVC? That looks much easier to make than a copper manifold.

In answer to the original post, slitted copper pipe manifold in my mini-tun.

good to see a pic of youre set up johnno.it looks the grouse ;)

:beer:
big d

S/S false bottom - no idea how good yet, because first AG this week as soon as yeast packet swells - It's like a watched kettle never boils - 24 hrs 55 mins & 37secs... & she hasn't moved!!! - hold on, maybe a mill - getting excited - need my micrometer - bugger this is frustrating....

First tried a plastic phils phase bottom stuck sparge next made simple copper manifold good ,then went to tmanifold in Termimesh did not work went back to copper manifold going to try a mesh grain bag over the manifold next.

Pumpy

PostModern said:
Doc said:

Beers,
Doc
[post="46608"][/post]​

Doc,
Have you had any chemical leaching tastes from the PVC? That looks much easier to make than a copper manifold.

In answer to the original post, slitted copper pipe manifold in my mini-tun.
[post="46811"][/post]​

Pomo
When Doc says hot water PVC what I think he means is cPVC which is a different material to garden retic type PVC and is specifically designed to prevent leaching in hot water. Its used for hot water pipes in houses instead of copper. The fittings are all different too.

Latest posts

Back