False Bottom Lifting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a question re round coolers fitted with a concave perforated false bottom. I am pretty sure it lifted off the bottom during mash/sparge. Would glueing(araldite in the mash?) a nut to the bottom of the cooler and putting a small bolt down through the falsy to hold it firm be a good fix??? Any suggestions please.

cheers Peter

What about just drilling a hole through the bottom of the tun for a bolt to go though from the bottom. A nut on the inside to stop the bolt moving, then the bolt goes through the false bottom which is then held down by another nut/wing nut and washer.

This is how I have my false bottom fitted, but I do drain from below the false bottom rather than "through" it.

Hope this makes sense.

EDIT- This photo might help explain it. This is the inside of my mash tun.

Linky

Really doubt it's gonna lift up with all that grain and liquid sitting on top of it.
Maybe you bent your's

Could just recirc with a jug to put back anything that got dragged in back to the top.
Yeah, rigid tubing is a good idea too, it's what I've got atm.

Could just recirc with a jug to put back anything that got dragged in back to the top.
Yeah, rigid tubing is a good idea too, it's what I've got atm.

Yeah did that. It was the maiden voyage of the new AG set up, I guess I was always going to have a problem somewhere. Maybe the flaked maize shouldnt have been milled.....

Back