False bottom for 19L Big W pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiserben

Reaction score
Does anyone have a nice, easy solution for something to use as a false bottom for a Big W 19L pot (diameter is 31cm).

I've searched on this forum to no avail, and also googled searched for things like "cooling rack" etc etc. The best thing I could find was a 30cm chrome-plated cooling rack (which I was a bit hesitant about because it's not stainless and I wasn't certain the grain bag might push through the slits and on to the bottom of the pot).

Easiest way is to just buy a 30cm domed false bottom but they do cost about double what the pot costs.

Check out your local recycling reuse center. You'll find all shapes and sizes of miscellaneous kitchen stuff. It's where I found my false bottom and it works a treat.

I may have something you can have but it is 295mm, if you want to use it to keep the grain bag off the bottom of the pot you would just need to drill three holes and put in three bolts with two nuts for locking.

I would think teflon is probably about as welcome in your mash as chrome?

I've had teflon coated stuff in my mash without any dramas. It shouldn't react to anything we're using, PTFE wouldn't even blink at the temps we use for mashing. Even the boil, PTFE should be fine.

Does anyone have a nice, easy solution for something to use as a false bottom for a Big W 19L pot (diameter is 31cm).

I've searched on this forum to no avail, and also googled searched for things like "cooling rack" etc etc. The best thing I could find was a 30cm chrome-plated cooling rack (which I was a bit hesitant about because it's not stainless and I wasn't certain the grain bag might push through the slits and on to the bottom of the pot).

The top is 310, have you accurately measured the internal bottom of the pot? I have 2 & both are 295mm. Most racks are at least 300mm so won't reach bottom.

I purchased cake rack off eBay from US which is 235mm diameter. Closest I could find that fits & works just fine for what I use it for (sparging into my 40L crown urn through 19L pot with holes drilled out)

Latest posts

Back