Falconers Flight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
Falconer’s Flight® is an exclusive proprietary hop blend created by Hop Union to honor and support the legacy of Northwest brewing legend, Glen Hay Falconer, who passed in 2002. The blend is comprised of many of the Northwest’s most unique hop varieties, including Citra®, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties. Perfect for any Northwest-style IPA. Each hop has been hand selected for its superior aromatic qualities, imparting distinct tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones. A portion of the proceeds go to support the Falconer Foundation, which supports brewers and brewing. Approximate Alpha Acid 10.5%.

Usage: Dual (great bittering qualities and fantastic aroma profile)
Description: Tropical Fruit, Citrus, floral, lemon and Grapefruit character (the best of the best)
Typical Beer Styles: American pale, amber, American IPA, IBA, Black IPA etc. (pretty much anything you want awesome hop character in)
Typical Alpha Acid: 10% – 12%

Alpha Acids
9.5 - 12.0%

Beta Acids
4.0 - 5.0%

Co-Humulone
20 - 25%

Total Oil
~1.6 mL / 100g

MOD: Hop description inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I, in keeping with the mandate of this subforum to be a reference for all hop varieties, with description at the top and discussion following. Member's original post is below.

Was hop shopping the other day and came across these.

Has anyone brewed with these? I've read a few reviews on US forums and people are raving about them. So I'm thinking about brewing a 10 minute IPA with them. Thought I'd ask around first though.

Cheers,

Mitch :D

Have a packet sitting in my fridge and just knocking a 10min IPA recipe up in BS2 right now.

Please do let me know how it goes! I bit the bullet and bought 360g of it. 300g of pellets in at 10 minutes in mine! Maybe use the 60g left over as a dry hop...?

I have 8oz in my freezer after a recent More Beer purchase. Will probably use it late in an IPA buttered with Cascade.

I didnt jump in as far as you Mitch as for the time being only doing mini batches.

Here is what I was thinking for my attempt on Monday

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Falconers Flight - 10 Min IPA
Brewer: Keith
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 l
Boil Size: 15.00 l
Bottling Volume: 10.20 l
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 11.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 60.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.78 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 90.5 %
0.15 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 4.8 %
0.15 kg Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (19.7 EBC) Grain 3 4.8 %
75.00 g Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop 6 60.8 IBUs
15.00 g Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.5 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 m Yeast 7 -
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 5 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.07 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
BIAB Mash - Single Infusion Add 16.88 l of water at 69.8 C 66.0 C 70 min

Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smell of this hop today going into the kettle at 10mins was to die for. Very very fruity, passion-fruit/tropical fruit springs to mind when I smelt it. Looking forward to having a few pints of this in a month or so's time :)

Well have just cracked open one of my 10 Min IPA's and its definetly a nice hop. I would probably dry hop a bit extra next time as the aroma is a little mute but that could be from using Nottingham as I had run out of us05. Definite passion-fruit but its quite delicate and not like citra so its a pleasant change. Will definitely be ordering another chunk to muck around with again.

_MG_9054.jpg

Anyone got any cracking recipes using this hop they would like to share?

DazDog said:
Anyone got any cracking recipes using this hop they would like to share?
Bumping this thread back up. I'm after ideas for this hop as I've got some, but have never used it or tasted a beer with it prior.

I believe FF is actually a proprietary blend of northwestern US hops. Yet to use it myself, but I say go big or go home! Drop the hope off if you over do it. I'm pretty sure Ross had an IPA with this hop, and it was awesome.

QldKev said:
Bumping this thread back up. I'm after ideas for this hop as I've got some, but have never used it or tasted a beer with it prior.
I know this is little help but I'm currently fermenting Ross' Fighting Falcon FWK which calls for 90gm per 20L dry hop. The last one of his FWKs I did with this hopping rate was fantastic (Zythos from memory).

If it's any help to anybody I found this info on a Yank forum. Not sure if it's a fact though?
Falconer’s flight is a (Mostly) Citra, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace combo.
My latest AAA hopped solely with FF is waiting its turn in the (Tap) queue.

Article from the net, not sure of accuracy but an interesting read:

http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2012/04/falconers-flight/

Because of the worldwide hop shortage of 2008 – the demand for new, high Alpha US Pale and IPA hops was created. Blending was the shortterm answer; field contracting was the long-term option. The selling of proprietary blends opens a new choice for brewers. Hop blends expanded to Falconer’s 7C’s™, then Zythos™. It is Hopunion’s secret as to kind/ ratio of the hop blends.
This new emerging organoleptic field, now target specific Alpha, Beta and Cohumulone percentages overall. These blends take advantage of hop diversity and are typically dual purpose–brewers can use them anytime for the desired Alpha or Aroma effect.
Boiling for an hour releases/isomerizes in the Alpha acid and turns them into bitterer iso-Alpha acids. Beta acids do not isomerize, but contribute to the beer’s hoppy aroma and are known to oxidize into sulfur containing compounds which often contribute to off-flavors. Sensory analysis of high Cohumulone content on beer taste and the quality/quantity of bitterness have opposed opinions. Some brewers refer to Cohumulone as the unpleasant bitterness to the beer, others say it is great oil for hop utilization. The highest total oil content is also is desired for hop utilization.
Falconer’s Flight™ contains Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties. 10-11% Alpha, 4-5% Beta, 27% Cohumulone.
Falconer’s Flight 7 C’S™ (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Cluster, Columbus and Crystal) and additional experimental varieties (Calypso?) 9-10% Alpha, 4-5% Beta, 29% Cohumulone.
Zythos™ (traditional Greek word for beer) is also big in citrus flavors for IPAs. The actual hops used are still unknown. 11-12% Alpha, 5-5.5% Beta, 29% Cohumulone.
Hopunion’s charge to understand the chemical/sensory analysis of hops in beer spun off a separate company called Alpha Analytics which compares the chemical properties and human sensory analysis of hops in beer. Alpha Analytics will soon create more hop blends that will make inferences and insights about hop oils and ratios of hop oils through measuring instruments. They will link these numbers with the perceptions made from human assessors in both Hopunions collaborative experimental brewery and with winning gold medal beers in competitions. Perhaps it will tell us about the hops je ne sais quoi, in winning recipes?

I've been reading up on these hops. I don't really like the idea of adding pre-blended hops to my beer, so I've been trying to figure out what is in them.

Can confirm they contain Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, and Sorachi Ace (as per reading 500,000 writings on the subject). Am reasonably certain they also contain Centennial. However, they also contain mystery, proprietary unnamed hops unique to Falconer's Flight. Or at least, they did, originally - I am actually not sure if they still do or not.

If you love your west coast IPAs then you can make a bloody ripper with this hop. Just use a Pliny the Elder type grist, bitter to you prefered level with something high AA (I use Warrior) and then I use 20g at 25, 20,15,10 and 5 min. Dry hop with 25g if you are into dry hopping. I can promise you won't be dissapointed

Edit: I've only used the original FF, not 7C.

Still have a bottle of that I won a BABBs a couple months back. Have yet to find the right occasion to crack it open....

I've got a pound of FF, and I was hoping to get 4 x 28L cubes from it. Which works out at 4g/L.

I'm thinking
OG of just 1.040 (I want a lighter beer, not a full on IPA abv%)
Ale base
Munich II 6%
Cyrstal 6%

Columbus @ 60min to total 45IBU
20min 1g/L maybe Simcoe
10 min 1g/L FF
5min 1g/L FF
0min 1g/L FF
Dry hop 1g/L FF

The other way I could is do just 3 cubes, then I would have 5.3g/L FF. So I could change the 20min addition from Simcoe to FF, and have another 0.3g/L to throw in at say whirlpool

Also from here he also has some vienna chucked in. So I could drop in say 6% of that too. I noticed his hop schedule was a lot lighter.

Cheers

QldKev

Made a kits and bits with FF. it turned out really nice

Brown Falcon IPA
2X coopers lager cans
1kg dme
200g crystal grain
100g choc grain
30g Falconers flight at 20min
30g Falconers flight at 10min
30g Falconers flight dry hop at 5 days.

Back