Fairy Beer, your experiences?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Niece and Nephews Fairy party this weekend, said I'd bring the beer.

Response was "I hope it's pink"

Lager in a 19ltr keg fyi

This first effort is too red, btw has anyone put some kind of food safe, erm, cake decoration type little stars that might float around in the beer?

bring it..

image.jpg

I would have assumed throw the fairies whole into the boil, but it looks like you blended them and added the pulp to the fermenter?

pm fatz he makes a good fairy beer.

actually i had one in nz recently called beetle juice and it was bright red.

Try lots of beetroot in secondary in a fairly pale beer (wheat, maybe). The tinge will be more purple than pink but getting pink from a beer is probably very hard to do as the brown and yellow colours from the grains would interfere with it too much.

Alternatively you could do a kind of fruit or vegetable wine, say, rhubarb wine.

raspberries in a wheat will give u a pink

Or simply adding something like raspberry or blackberry pulp or raspberry or blackberry cordial post fermentation to the bottom of the jug when you pour the beer could have very pleasing results - a fresh berry sweetness and tartness to go with the beer. Not familiar entirely with the technique myself but I gather this is what you do with Berliner Weisse, maybe even some hefeweizens?

Or another thought: you could try doing beer spiders! A berry icecream at the bottom of the glass, then pour beer over the top!

Just chuck berries and/or diced mint leaves on the top as a garnish. Then folks can drink it mojito style.

DtgWT6-A.jpeg

As long as you look like this no one will notice the colour of the beer.

Serve beer in pink glasses,but only if they over 18. ;)

Best thread ever.

If I was doing this, I'd make a raspberry syrup, which is a bona fide addition to Berliner Weisse beers (apparently). I remember an article in BYO mag: https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2991-making-flavored-syrups - but it doesn't seem to be available online.

Making the syrup and adding it post-fermentation would allow you to adjust the colour to get where you want to be.

I have no idea about the fairy stars or how to get the actual fairy magic in there, though. Sorry.

Raspberry Cider. Grumpy Paul made one from a kit that won the brew club Get Your Kit Off competition. Pink as, and the kids will love it too ;)

some great replies thanks !

Keg is in fridge and is a lager,

The kids will have plenty of fairy fizzy, hopefully in a controlled fashion....The beer just saves BIL coughing up more ca$h and it's there ready so what the hey

Gotta sort out the sparkles somehow, I need to communicate with a good fairy cook

I assume you added red food colouring to the beer. Why not add a little white food colouring as well to get pink?
The floaties will be tough because you'd need to agitate the keg else they'll all get sucked up in the first few manly pints. This would of course agitate the sediment as well so some decent filtration would be required prior to kegging or adding faery stuff.

Specialty baking/cake decorating shops should be able to help you out with the sparkles. Simon Johnson may carry them, or The Essential Ingredient as gold and silver leaf are sometimes used in Moroccan food and cocktails.

thanks guys maybe the sparkles would have to be sprinkled into the glass first before pouring, I have pink food colouring, just used too much in the pic ... but I'll have a squiz in the shops and see about sparkles and get some white too if not in pantry, or the leaf

We'll work it out somehow

Aren't flower petals more fairylike than sparkles? Try some fejoia petals - they're in bloom at the moment and taste very sweet and refreshing. They'll just bob around on the top of your drink looking all pretty and shit.

Latest posts

Back