Fabricating A Dip Tube - What Material?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
I'm planning on fabricating a dip tube for an unusually shaped keg...what material should I use?

Stainless steel? Aluminium?

PZ.

stainless steel of course.
there is no other answer.

I figured as much...but no harm in asking.

Thanks big d :beer:

PZ.

have you considered using beer line, like you use for your keg system. This is cheaper and is usually fairly rigid. i donty think you would have to many issues using it.
Tim

mmmm reckon i will reconsider my answer.thats not a bad alternative at all tim.

Tim said:
have you considered using beer line, like you use for your keg system. This is cheaper and is usually fairly rigid. i donty think you would have to many issues using it.
Tim
[post="77182"][/post]​

Guess what I was just thinking of whilst outside having a smoke?

Tested a piece of Flexmaster 10mm OD gas line and it's a perfect fit! :chug:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B

Saved me asking, i have a pin hole in one in my 4 L keg so if i can't get one i was thinking of fabricating one. <_<

Tim

What a thinker, i have plenty of beer/gas line lying around. :D

Thanks guys

Offline,
I have had a similar problem with one of my diptubes. It has 2 small pin holes about 3/4 the way up and causes big foaming problems when the beer level gets below the holes. I showed to a mate who does lots of metal work and he said it may be possible to silver solder it but it may cause more damage. He then suggested using a type of filler that will set hard and withstand huge temps and pressure. Once it has cured properly it can be sanded back and should work well on diptubes.It was called "DEFCON" (not sure of the spelling) he uses it to mend fuel lines in drag cars and can be purchased from repco and similar places.

:beer:
Mothballs

We use Devcon all the time it's true it will set rock hard, we machine it after we have let it go hard. However i would think it would still take in some moisture and be a little weary, if it just a pin hole try to get it tig welded.

Stagger

Only use Stainless steel you will have problems with oxidisation using aluminium

Stagger

No worries
I have actually been thinking about using soft beer line and a float. This would take the beer from the top of the keg, which clears quicker. Thus giving clearer beer

My tube with the hole has a lot pitting all the way along it but only one hole so far my guess is it has been cleaned with some thing caustic :angry: . So I think any repair would be only temporary <_< , Ive used devcon and solder before at work, anyway will see if i cant find a replacement first.

Back