Ezychargers 16g bulbs/KK Growlers - seen this?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adr_0

Gear Bod
Reaction score
So I put my Keg King growler + drafto into service yesterday using some water, which came out green...
co2-oil-1.jpg

So I ran through another CO2 bulb and it came out identical.

And on closer inspection it looks very much like oil:
co2-oil-close.jpg
(second pic is the combination of all the glasses, after settling for a while)

Everything was brand new/off the shelf and had been rinsed out, so I'm thinking it was the CO2 chargers. Looking at the invoice from a while back, all I had was this:
1 x Mosa CO2 Cartridge/Charger 16g (Threaded) x 30 () = $50.00

These ones are a gold colour. I thought I got food grade, but I'm hoping I didn't... I've since ordered a food grade lot from Ezywhip, hoping they turn out better.

Has anyone else seen this?

Given it is sediment, i would doubt it is oil.
Oil would float on top.

malt junkie said:
with what did you rinse the rest of the kit?
water and Starsan

grott said:
Would seem you got ones meant for pumping up bike tubes.
yes, I suspect so

n87 said:
Given it is sediment, i would doubt it is oil.
Oil would float on top.
yeah, I'm wondering if it's some sort of synthetic or silicone oil/grease. I just can't see what else is in the drafto that is going to drop out that much.

Star San is only going to sanitise. I'd suggest getting yourself some tricleanium from Bunnings to remove any grease/oil from manufacturing.

stilvia said:
Star San is only going to sanitise. I'd suggest getting yourself some tricleanium from Bunnings to remove any grease/oil from manufacturing.
Sounds like that will go down nicely with pilsener, brown ale and saison.

as above star san won't remove manufacturing nasties, it's a santiser, clean before you sanitise. Hopt sodium perc (nappysan) would also do the trick.

I'm not expecting Starsan to remove this stuff, I'm asking if anyone else has used these bulbs and seen something similar when carbonating water. The setup I have is this:
http://cdn.kegking.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/dc4f5d9b6c0b1ca5ac9e41dce4e31704/7/4/7469-growler-drafto-kit-growler-fill-growler-picnic-tap-on-growler.jpg

And I was filling the growler with water (Neverfail water) to test everything and make sure it all worked... and my first pull from the growler was green water.

In terms of sources of the crap:
I'm confident the inside of the growler was clean.
The drafto thing on top doesn't have much in it, but would have through a few glasses coming through would clean this.
The regulator, similarly, shouldn't have too much in it and considering it's marketed for use on these growlers, should be clean.
I can rule out the water...
Considering it happened with two lots of water and two 16g bulbs, I'm thinking it's come from the bulbs. So has anyone else used these bulbs and seen this, or have they used them in dark beers and not really noticed?

Understand what your saying. But is the nasty crap from the growler or the Co2. Do a full and thorough clean of the grower and associated bits, then test. Then you'll know what to blame.

yes I've seen nasty crap like that. no it wasn't the Co2. It was the mini keg. Cleaned it ..... problem solved.

If after cleaning the growler you have the same issue I'd be sending photos to the supplier.

And certainly let us know how you go.

Fill the growler with water again, put on the drafto, open the tap and blow into the CO2 outlet and see what comes out? My money is on the bulbs.

I got a KK growler for a rello as a christmas pressie, i gave it a quick look over as i was curious. and i was quite suprised at how much crap from manufacturing was left on it.

just a thought.

After 30min or so of sodium perc with hot water and about 17,000 rinses it looks to have come good.

The relief valve was leaking as well - around the thread. So I would recommend a bit of thread tape on the CO2 nipple and the plastic relief valve, plus the obvious clean...

It looked pretty good, and have to say I'm surprised/disappointed just how much crap there was in there. The good bit about SS is that it's fairly easy to clean and stays clean, so fingers crossed.

RIP that pilsener I put into one of the other ones a while ago... I can't remember if I sodium perc'd it beforehand or not. Maysherestinpeace...

bradsbrew said:
Fill the growler with water again, put on the drafto, open the tap and blow into the CO2 outlet and see what comes out? My money is on the bulbs.
Hey Brad, do you mind changing the topic title to something like "Ezychargers 16g bulbs/KK Growlers - seen this?" just as a hopeful heads up to other brewers with similar kit?

Adr_0 said:
Hey Brad, do you mind changing the topic title to something like "Ezychargers 16g bulbs/KK Growlers - seen this?" just as a hopeful heads up to other brewers with similar kit?
Done

Much better:
water-cleaned.jpg

Sorry for doubting you n87 and malt junkie, it looked pretty clean inside - bit hard to tell in poor light I guess.

Seems to work well now, after:
- thorough clean with sodium perc, metasilicate or similar (the growler)
- fair chunk of thread tape on the plastic relief valve on the Drafto
- fair chunk of thread tape on the brass CO2 nipple on the drafto

I have heard of a few leaking. The rubber seal around the lid looks pretty good - I wonder if the relief valve is the problem with people?

I just happened to have brand new drafto still in it's packet and just done what i suggested earlier. The water came out as clear as the tap. Growler had been used a few times though.

Latest posts

Back