Extreme Gypsum Addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sim

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm playing round with some water chem in Beer Alchemy, brewing an English IPA tomorow and looking at targeting Burton water profile.

So does 13 grams of Gypsum sound totally extreme? it does to me, but with this addition im still not even on par with the suggested target for that profile. I'm happy to be under the target and whatever, but before i got a pH meter i was just doing conservative additions of like 1 or 2 grams, so i'm wondering if my software is crazy or im just a scaredy cat?

Any thoughts?

From what I remember (hang on, will pull the file I made....)....

Yep, stop being a wuss!!!

Based on a 'blank' water profile (I was using rainwater at the time), to get the Burton specs, I'd need (for a single batch)...

8g Epsom Salts
5g Baking Soda
12g Chalk
1g Calcium Chloride
24g Gypsum

I have yet to actually use this profile, but for a first attempt with RO water I'll be aiming at about half those additions, and adjust accordingly for any future brews.

Best advice I can give is just go for it and see how it turns out!

Cheers

350ppm SO4 is the highest I've used and that was fine. I don't think I'd go higher than that but it's always worth a try, at least once.

nice, thanks guys.

20 odd litre Nick, or double?

well, think i'll just get me finger out then. 10g Gypsum : 20 litres it is!

Cheers

Nah, 13 grams is fine. I've added up to 16g of CaSO4 and 6g of MgSO4 into an English IPA to take the SO4 up to about 341 ppm (22ltr). The beer turned out just wonderful.

I did know someone who increase the SO4 up to about 600ppm (i.e about 30g of Gyspum) and also tasted the beer. You could taste the minerals in it up that high, but it wasn't actually that bad. It mellowed out over a month or two and the beer certainly didn't last any longer than 3 months.

Based on all I have read the printed water profiles for places like Burton are bunk.

A balanced approach to additions is a better way to go. That does require reading and understanding how to balance them out.

I dont think using Burton salts will hurt anything, however I do think a bit of work will get you a nice beer.

Haha, perhaps you just initiated the next 'big beer' craze. Quadruple Burtonised!

I often use 20g : 44L in Perth water.

The sulphates might become noticeable - the "Burton Snatch" back in the days when snatches weren't snatches. :unsure: - however if you are looking for mega calcium in a brew, some of the Newcastle guys have been trying out Calcium Lactate (an existing food additive used to fortify orange juice for example) with brilliant results in certain styles.

Im using RO water for a brew this weekend.
I did a quick search but came up nada, but gypsum?? any garden variety do? or is there a food grade strain that I cant find?
cheers

Calcium Sulphate should be similar wherever you get it, but I don't think I would cost any more to get food grade stuff... The above sponsors should have what you need. No affiliation etc

ahhh ...i couldnt see it for the trees
I was getting ready to dig out the bag of bunnings gypsum..lol
thanks

Back