extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
I need help with a dick head question .....I have a mate just starting up and he is making a brew using LME, he put a batch down yesterday of just LME, 19ltrs water and 05 yeast and rang me this morning to say nothing is happening...does he also need to add a can of coopers draught or something to it, or is the LME it ? as I said dick head question from someone who has never gone into extract much

It should still ferment and make beer-without knowing the gravity or amount of LME he used it's hard to say.

If he used one can of LME in 19L, and nothing else, fermentation should start as fast or faster than it would if he'd also added sugar or Cooper's powdered adjunct. The lag phase lasts longer with higher starting gravit. Low gravity should not delay it.

One 1.5 kg can of LME alone in 19L fermented with US-05 will result in a very light beer of roughly 2.5% abv and littlle body, but it should ferment fast.

Are you sure fermentation has not started? A lack of action in the airlock is not a sure sign.

A day is not all that long a lag. If the beer has not started by the morning, either the temp is below US-05's range or the yeast is bad. What do you mean by Cooper's Draught, a type of LME or a beer?

he used 1.5kg of LME and I am not sure if it was hopped or unhopped, he said when he bought it was in plastic containers (probably packaged by the LHBS from a bulk supply) and never had many details on it

Are you sure fermentation has not started? A lack of action in the airlock is not a sure sign.
I havent been up to see him but will be shortly and will check it.... he informs me the temp is @22c, I dont know the gravity and I dont think he took a SG

What do you mean by Cooper's Draught,
I mean the beer kit of coopers draught or the likes you get off the shelf at LHBS.

If he needs to add a can of draught or whatever whats the best way about it??? would he just draw out say a litre or 2 of wort and warm it up a bit then mix his draught into that and then transfer that into his wort stirring careful not to disturb it to much, or just transfer the can directly into wort and stir gently??

hellbent said:
he used 1.5kg of LME and I am not sure if it was hopped or unhopped, he said when he bought it was in plastic containers (probably packaged by the LHBS from a bulk supply) and never had many details on it

I havent been up to see him but will be shortly and will check it.... he informs me the temp is @22c, I dont know the gravity and I dont think he took a SG

What do you mean by Cooper's Draught,
I mean the beer kit of coopers draught or the likes you get off the shelf at LHBS.

If he needs to add a can of draught or whatever whats the best way about it??? would he just draw out say a litre or 2 of wort and warm it up a bit then mix his draught into that and then transfer that into his wort stirring careful not to disturb it to much, or just transfer the can directly into wort and stir gently??
Check for fermenation. If it's going, let it finish. If not, check temp and warm if too low. If the temp is okay, add yeast, I wouldn't add more LME this late, but you could toss in two cups of sugar in a half litre of boiling water.

Or chuck it, read up a little on extract brewing and start all over.

all good guys.....thanx for your help, I think he's going to get in touch with the brew shop this morning...

"read up a little on extract brewing"
I spent a good hour googling yesterday for answers but as I said it was all beyond me... I have never bothered with extract brewing and prob never will.

once again thx for your help
cheers

Yeah some of my bigger brews (high ABV) tend to take a day or so for the fermentation to get into full swing. As an example: My last one, a 5.4% pale ale, was brewed on the Saturday - yeast added around 2pm Sat - and the full-on fermentation (the blooping) didn't get going until Monday morning.

Whenever I make anything that is in the mid-5% and upwards, I'll add 2 packets of yeast. I've also noticed a better flavour in my beers when I rehydrate the yeast before pitching - compared to just sprinkling the dry yeast on the brew.

Cheers,

Pete

Back