Extract used by date and advise please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birusuki

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a long time since I posted or brewed anything. Got fat so I stopped, still fat so what the hell.

Anyway, my only way to get my ingredients is from the net, no LHBS.
So I got a wheat beer kit from the net it was an outlet sale. I though what the hell might be a good cheap
way to get back into brewing. I emailed the guy and he asured me all ingredients were good to go.

So I got the kit. contents as follows.

1 can Morgans golden sheaf wheat beer. used by Aug/17
1can Morgans master malt wheat. used by Aug/17
1 pack safbrew wb06 used by May/18
15gm unnamed hopps.
138gm priming sugar.

Cant for the life of me think why this kit would be in an outlet sale, unless it has something to do with excess stock?
all those dates seem fine to me. But it got me thinking what is the max age limit you should buy ingredients?
Is close to or past the used by date ok?
I will drink milk after the used by date if it smells ok. How about malt extract?

I also have maltose 1kg and 1 unopened pack of LDM from 2 years ago. Been in a fridge the whole time. would
you use it? I have hopps too but I`m guessing I should bin those..

As for the above kit the instructions were pretty vague.
17lts for a full bodied beer or 19 lts for a lighter beer.

never brewed a wheat before.
How about 30 min boil add hopps at 20mins? maybe some orange peel? (zest from around 4 oranges) I was thinking.
pretty simply.

How would you guys do it?
cheers.

I would stay strict to just the 4 ingredients for Beer rule. Water, malt, hops, yeast. The fresher the better on it all. Other flavours may be added for experimentations but again fresh is better or not at all IMO.
Use by dates? Dates and storage in general have big impacts on flavour. Depends if you can taste the difference between fresh,er and old, frozen, Canned etc. That goes for all human consumption.
Within used by dates should get you a good beer though.

Malt extract past its use by won't make you sick like off milk might.

However you can get stale flavours, twang and overly dark beer.

Fresh is almost always better where brewing ingredients are concerned*

*only exception I can think of is old hops in a lambic.

Would older black or dark chocolate malts keep well for extended periods? My choice would be yes but happy to learn otherwise.

monchan said:
thanks for the replies. In the bin it goes.
Huh? Everything said here was positive - and your malt is within use-by date, so why toss it? If it was me, I'd use it.

Edit - OH - sorry, re-read your post, you're going to throw out the OLD stuff, fair enough. All the stuff within the use by date should be good to go though.

LOL.. No worries mate.
Still can`t work out why That set was in the outlet sale. All the dates have plenty time left.
Don`t what it would cost in Aust. But I picked that set up for under $30 for japan thats pretty good.

Latest posts

Back