Extract Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
Hi all. I have nearly finished getting enough gear together (imersion chiller, converted keg, s/h fridge etc) to do a full boil extract (with grain) brew, what I am after is a good recipe to kick off with and was hoping to pick the collective brain...

My thinking at this stage is a Maerzen/Octoberfest. The reason for this (apart from the obvious) is partly to impress SWMBO (and father of SWMBO) who are both larger drinkers. My preference however is for bigger Ales, so I thought the maltiness of the Maerzen might be a good compromise.

I have looked at Recipator etc but there don't seem to be any comments on the recipes which worries me a bit. Also some of the ingredients aren't available around here (Perth).

I intend at this stage to mail order a liquid yeast from the east and let it sit in a starter for a few days to get it going. Most of the other ingredients I should be able to get locally.

Any comments, suggestions, recipes etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my M-O recipe. I'll be brewing it again soon too.

Cheers,
Doc

Doc's Marzen-Oktoberfest

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-A German Amber Lager, Oktoberfest/Maerzen

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.064
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 7 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.40 Wort Size (L): 23.40
Total Grain (kg): 6.04
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.76
Anticipated SRM: 7.9
Anticipated IBU: 27.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG 11.78 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
53.8 3.25 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
37.3 2.25 kg. Munich Malt Australia 1.038 6
6.6 0.40 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.2 0.13 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.1 0.01 kg. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 23.5 45 min.
16.00 g. Hallertauer Whole 6.60 3.5 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.17 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 6.04
Water Qts: 20.42 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 19.32 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 67 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 23.35 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Thanks Doc.

I can't say that I understand all of that, but it sounds pretty good.

Is that recipe all grain? If so, how does one convert it to extracts plus steeped grain? Excuse my ignorance but I can never work out when someone says "malt" whether they are talking about crushed (malted) grains or a malt extract (dry or wet) - how does one tell?

Thanks for your help - I'll plug that info into Promash at home and see what happens....

Goat

Goat,

Yes it is an All Grain recipe.
Sorry I should have also posted this link to a topic from a while back on converting All Grain recipes to extract version.
I the case of that recipe all the malt refers to malt grain.

Hope that helps.

Beers,
Doc

Goat,

generally when people refer to liquid malt, they call it liquid malt extract, or LME. Also dry malt extract is DME. When they want grains, it's just malt.

-Cheers - Snow.

Thanks chaps - that helps a lot (the mist rises....) :)

Goat said:
I have looked at Recipator etc but there don't seem to be any comments on the recipes which worries me a bit. Also some of the ingredients aren't available around here (Perth).
Have you tried TWOC for what you're looking for?

I've found them to be the only store in WA with a decent range of grain. Theyre the only place I know of who stocks liquid yeast too. A few of their packs are a tad out of date, but they seem to start up fine (and if theyre ages out you'll normally get a discount too).

For my LME pail I just got mine from WestBrew. I looked at other alternatives but they ended up working out the cheapest for it in the end (even though its a lot more than what people pay over east).

Thanks Kook.

Yes - I've been to TWOC (that expands to a wierd name for a HBS....)and chatted to the man who will order me (fresh-ish) Wyeast from the east. I also sent an email to ESB the other day, they said that Malthouse on Welshpool Rd stock White Labs yeasts. I went there andhad a look. they had 4 vials in the fridge that looked like they had been there for a fair while. The guy there said he could get them in for me at $25 a go.

Is it me or are the people at HDSs around Perth useless? The guy in Welshpool was not in the slightlest bit interested (was quite discouraging in fact) and every time I go into Westbrew and ask a very basic question (refer above) they don't know and are not interested in helping much either. Mr Tina's World of Crafts isn't too bad but its a fair old drive from Bayswater to get advice etc... (set winge = OFF)

Goat

Goat, Kook, I have the same problem living in Perth but I am interested to hear about this TWOC what is it and where?

That bloke in Welshpool doesn't give a toss but I still go there coz it's pretty close to me. Those white labs haven't been in his frig for long because I have been asking him for liquid yeasts for ages and he always says no one wants to buy them so he doesn't stock them. My last visit (two weeks ago) he had those white labs vials for the first time but I had already ordered a wyeast by mail so didn't get one.

West Brew is alright if you go when the old bloke Stan is there. He loves talking brewing and he KNOWS his shit, but he's not there much these days. Avoid the youngest bloke who has told me some amazing stuff like 24C brewing temps for lagers, OG predictions that were 10 points out etc...

Lately I have bought a lot of stuff on mail order for convenience and because if you don't get good advice from a HBS why go there?

:ph34r:

Deebee,

TWOC is in the Stock Road Markets (Bibra Lakes). The chap there is reasonably helpful if you can get him going and he does have a heap of Wyeast and other yeasts, though the best before dates leave a lot to be desired (I guess that is our lot in the west, small market etc etc). Its worth worth a look - he's open 7 days too

http://www.homebru.com.au/index.html

Where do you mail order from? How long does it normally take? What sort of thing do you get?

Goat

I've never had a problem with the yeasts from TWOC. I've had one that was 18 months out of date, still made a great beer (though took 6 days for the pack to expand!). The guy there is really helpful, and will have a chat if the store isnt busy.

Those vials of whitelabs have been sitting in the fridge at malthouse for months now. Hes trying to ask way too much for them. I only go there if I want an ESB fresh wort. Not a very friendly bloke IMO.

There isnt a very good market over here, but TWOC is the best IMO. I live ages from bibra lake but I'm willing to drive that far for good service and good hops / yeast.

If i just need some pellets, or sanitiser, i duck down the road to westbrew.

Do either of you guys go to the west coast brewers meetings? I went to one last month for the first time. Not a big turnout last time but I'll keep going in the hope it'll pick up :)

Kook,

Never heard of west coast brewers - any more info in that one? (sounds intesting/vaguely dangerous.....)

Goat

Goat,

I mail order from Grumpys in Adelaide: www.grumpys.com.au

More than $100 and it's free delivery anywhere in Australia except for bulk grain. I order online. They will send you all the ingredients for an extract recipe to copy a favourite beer. They also have a good range of bags to match with kits to copy a style.

Takes about a week to get here and it's like Christmas morning when you get your box full up with goodies.

They are very customer-focussed; really helpful when you ring up, want to fix your problems and don't mind a yarn. Their forum is good too.

Hey what goes on at those meetings kook?

Went down to TWOC today. Bought:
175ml WYeast 1056 (American Ale)
175ml WYeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Wheat)
175ml Wyeast 2112 (California Lager)
50ml Wyeast 1275 (Thames Valley Ale) - out of date, $5

and some fuggles plugs.

They've got a nice new range of WYeast 175ml smack packs, go get some before I buy em all ;)

West Coast brewers is a HB club in Perth, they meet the second monday of every month at the rivervale community centre. Search through the craftbrewers list and you'll find more specific details. I've only been to one meeting (this month), and its just an informal chat with a bunch of brewers. Everyone brings a beer and a glass along and taste each others beers :)

Now a little more ontopic, anyone got a nice extract recipe for a steam beer? :) I need something to do with this Cal lager yeast next weekend!

Kook,

Order a grumpy's Boston cream kit and use the clifornian lager yeast on that ...

Other wise Californian Steam Beer extract recipees from the book Great Beers from Kits:
Extract:

Minuteman Common Beer

2kg of Light LME
1kg of Amber LME
15 gms of cascade pellets for bittering
15 gms of cascade pellets for aroma

Boil malt in 6 ltrs of water for 60 mins with bittering hops
Add aroma hops to boil last 5 mins.
Pour malt into fermenter with 6 ltrs of chilled water.
Top up to 19 ltrs...pitch lager yeast and ferment at ale temps 18 to 21 celcius for 4- 6weeks.
Lager at 13 celcius for 4 weeks.

Partial Mash

Krakatoa common beer

Muntons Yorkshire bitter can
220 gms Xtal Malt
220 gms Munich malt
1 kg of light LME
30 gms Perle pellets - bittering
30 gms of cascade pellets for aroma

Add grains to 6ltrs of cold water. Bring the mixture to a slow boil over 30 mins. Strain out the grains and rinse grains with 2 ltrs of just boiled water. Add extracts and Perle Bittering hops. Boil for one hour. Add cascade Aroma hops to final 3 mins of boil.

Method and temps are the same as for the above extract.

Kook.
Let me know if you do them and how you go.
I have not done these...

Latest posts

Back