Extract Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
Though I would share a Porter recipe and technique I'm about put down. Any one have any comments on improving my techniques or adapted recipe?

2 x 1.5 kg Liquid Light Malt
200 grams Dry Light Malt
Medium Crystal - 300grams
Chocolate Malt - 250 grams
Black Malt - 200 grams

Hop Additions -
POR 30g @ 60 minutes
Willamette 38g @ 40 minutes
Willamette 28g @ 15 minutes

10 Litre Boil -
Grains cracked and steeped @ 75 degrees C for 30 minutes.
1 can liquid malt extract added and wort boiled.
Hop Additions added.
End of boil, remaining liquid and dry malt added. Stirred in and pasteurized for 10 minutes.

Transferred to fermenter water added to 23L - Ice Bath Cooled to 21 degree c
Rehyrdrated - US-05 pitched.

Fermented at 19 degrees for 2 weeks.

Est. OG - 1052
Est. FG - 1015

????

Though I would share a Porter recipe and technique I'm about put down. Any one have any comments on improving my techniques or adapted recipe?

2 x 1.5 kg Liquid Light Malt
200 grams Dry Light Malt
Medium Crystal - 300grams
Chocolate Malt - 250 grams
Black Malt - 200 grams

Hop Additions -
POR 30g @ 60 minutes
Willamette 38g @ 40 minutes
Willamette 28g @ 15 minutes

10 Litre Boil -
Grains cracked and steeped @ 75 degrees C for 30 minutes.
1 can liquid malt extract added and wort boiled.
Hop Additions added.
End of boil, remaining liquid and dry malt added. Stirred in and pasteurized for 10 minutes.

Transferred to fermenter water added to 23L - Ice Bath Cooled to 21 degree c
Rehyrdrated - US-05 pitched.

Fermented at 19 degrees for 2 weeks.

Est. OG - 1052
Est. FG - 1015

????

Sounds nice. Have done similar but all grain. I also ended up dry hopping with an ounce of Willamette because their aroma is quite subtle.
The one I did with US-05 finished lower FG than expected and was certainly drier. had to carbonate very low or it would have come across too thin.
For the second batch I used a London Ale, it finished 1.015 and was a better brew.

I just finished and have this in the brew fridge for the next couple of weeks. Everything went well.

Hit an actual O-G of 1048 . 4 points lower then target and just in under the style guidelines. I'm pretty happy for a novice brewer.

Any extract brewers wanting to put down a dark beer, I'd recommend this. Though hardly surprising considering the recipe is from Palmer's book. A week and half in the bottle and tastes great.

Any extract brewers wanting to put down a dark beer, I'd recommend this. Though hardly surprising considering the recipe is from Palmer's book. A week and half in the bottle and tastes great.
That does sound like a ripping brew. Glad to hear it's drinking well so quickly, i'd heard the darker beers benefit greatly from age. If it lasts long enough for you imagine how good it might be in 6 months? The darkest extract i've brewed so far is a Newcastle Brown Ale, and it's really a joy to drink right now, 6 or 7 months after I brewed it.

Re your 10 litre boil, I think adding the whole 1.5kg LME can at the start of the boil might have been a bit too much, given the 750 grams of grain you'd already steeped into the brew. About half the can would have given you the 1040 gravity we generally look for to get the most out of your hops. Mind you we're only talking about a couple of IBU points so no big deal....and the other reason for late extract addition is to give a lighter coloured beer, not exactly something you're looking for in a Robust Porter.

Great recipe anyway, have you added it to the database? That way you can report back on the discussion thread it creates on how the taste changes over coming months.

On a related note, is there any reason people use liquid extract rather than dry extract aside from having some handy? Why does the recipe call for 3kg of liquid extract and 0.2kg of dry extract? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the equivalent amount of dry?

That does sound like a ripping brew. Glad to hear it's drinking well so quickly, i'd heard the darker beers benefit greatly from age. If it lasts long enough for you imagine how good it might be in 6 months? The darkest extract i've brewed so far is a Newcastle Brown Ale, and it's really a joy to drink right now, 6 or 7 months after I brewed it.

Re your 10 litre boil, I think adding the whole 1.5kg LME can at the start of the boil might have been a bit too much, given the 750 grams of grain you'd already steeped into the brew. About half the can would have given you the 1040 gravity we generally look for to get the most out of your hops. Mind you we're only talking about a couple of IBU points so no big deal....and the other reason for late extract addition is to give a lighter coloured beer, not exactly something you're looking for in a Robust Porter.

Great recipe anyway, have you added it to the database? That way you can report back on the discussion thread it creates on how the taste changes over coming months.

I doubt this will benefit 'greatly with age'. It will get better but it is already very good. I'm not sure your correct in suggesting every dark beer improves 'greatly' with age. I've done a side by side with a commercial porter and prefer this after only two weeks in the bottle.

I guess it comes down to simplicity. Whilst I didn't double check Palmer's figures and suggestions, I'm guessing he generalized the KISS principle was ideal for brewers at an extract level. Splitting a can of goo can be messy and imprecise. Every brew put down can have the technique improved on in some way or another, but some times simplicity is the key. Don't get carried away with technically correct brewing procedure. Look at brew in a bag...

On a related note, is there any reason people use liquid extract rather than dry extract aside from having some handy? Why does the recipe call for 3kg of liquid extract and 0.2kg of dry extract? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the equivalent amount of dry?

Liquid extract is what I used. In relation to the 0.2 of dry, tins generally come in 1.5kg amounts, it avoids opening a third tin. You can use what you like. I used liquid.

• +1 for that. Dry extract can easily be divided, weighed and stored. Liquid is most easily used a whole can at a time.
  • Or you could not add the dry extract and substitute it with 250g of light crystal grain.
  • You could also try small amounts ( like 200g ) of some other grains like Munich or Dark Crystal to give the brew more complexity.
  • 3kg of dry extract ( well probably 2.5 kg as it has no water in it ) can be difficult to dissolve. Dry needs to be dissolved in almost boiling water, where as liquid will dissolve in hottish water around 50 deg C. Yes you can sub dry at around 1.2kg for each 1.5kg of liquid, it's really up to you.

RobboMC said:
Dry needs to be dissolved in almost boiling water, where as liquid will dissolve in hottish water around 50 deg C.
That's not quite my experience.
Although I brew AG, I use dry extract for my liquid yeast growing.
I dissolve my LDME in ambient temperature tap water, and it dissolves just fine if I leave it alone for about 10 minutes or so, without further intervention from me.

Back