Extract Pilsner Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthead

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Will be finished CCing a couple of ales next week, so am then going to do a Lager & a Pilsner. With a bit of searching and my own thoughts have come up with this.

3kg Light Liquid Malt
500g LDME
200g Heritage Crystal Malt steeped for 30 minutes(is this needed...?)
75g Saaz @ 60
25g Hallertauer @30
10g Saaz @ 5
5g Saaz @ 0
10g Saaz @ 7 days
Saflager Yeast

Given my lack of big pots I'll look at doing a 4.5 ltr boil with the 500g LDME & steeped grain juice and pitch at 12deg.

I'd assume an OG of around 1.045 and FG of 1.012. Once primary finished will rack t secndary and CC for 2-3 weeks.

How does this look? Do I really need the Crystal? Thought it may add that extra body but will be happy to remove if popular opinion dictates.

Cheers,
Mut

I'm not really a big Pils fancier, but definitely knock the Heritage on the head, even the LDME and most if not all the late hops, bump the first addition up to 20- 25 IBU. Doesn't leave much in there, I know, but you're better off starting with a clean palate (pun intended), then add bits as you appreciate their value (or lack thereof/ absence) in the style. Depending on what sort of lager you're after, an all- grain version might be 100% base malt, one bittering addition and one later one for flavour- the clean and unambiguous flavours are highly prized if you want to pursue them.
Any lager will be a challenge as an Extract as you have nil control over the mash (hence I've advised against crystal malt), but give it a whirl with the minimum and see if you like it and whether you feel its worth the effort involved (slow, cool ferment, lagering etc), not to mention the expense- the cost of decent low- AA% noble hops can really sting!
Just my $0.02, hope it helps! :icon_cheers:

Hi mut,
if your after a pilsner then Id look to swap 1/2 your liquid malt with Beer Enhancer(extra light) extract,
swap heritage for melanoidan to get a decoction type flavour and lose the Halertau addition.
If your after a nice lager kust swap the grains and leave your malts and hops as is.
Id be going 34/70 at 12c for 3 weeks then secondary at 1c for another 3 weeks before kegging/bottling.

Drop the crystal ... carafoam maybe ... but really not needed.

Hops are fine.

It wont be as light as the all grain , the extract is always a bit dark ... but don't stress.

For yeast try the 34/70 or S189 .. even S23 .... 2 packets rehydrated and pitched at your ferment temp (approx 10C).

Enjoy!

Id be going 34/70 at 12c for 3 weeks then secondary at 1c for another 3 weeks before kegging/bottling.

Thanks for this, appreciated. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 34/70?

Cheers,
Mut

Keep in mind you will need 2 packets... for that price you can get a Wyeast smack pack and do a starter ... more work but rewarding.

Latest posts

Back