Extract Nelson Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthead

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

To ferment alongside my Pilsner in the fridge I am looking at doing this Lager. Any thoughts or suggestions to improve welcomed.

1.5kg Morgans Unhopped Pale
1.5kg LDME
500g Dextrose
30g Nelson @ 30
30g Nelson @ 10
20g Nelson @ 0
S-23 yeast

4 litre boil with the LDME. Approximate IBU of 27, OG of 1.044 and FG of 1.012.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mut

Personally i like my lagers to dry and crisp with a single hop addition so if it were me i would drop the nelson and go for a single hop addition to your target IBU with Hallertau or Saaz but that would be getting very close your pils.

Don't get me wrong i think you hop schedual would make a good ale, but lagers for me are about simplicity and clean crisp finishes. Have you thought about doing 2 pilsners and changing a hop or yeast to see the difference in can make in a beer?

Personally i like my lagers to dry and crisp with a single hop addition so if it were me i would drop the nelson and go for a single hop addition to your target IBU with Hallertau or Saaz but that would be getting very close your pils.

Don't get me wrong i think you hop schedual would make a good ale, but lagers for me are about simplicity and clean crisp finishes. Have you thought about doing 2 pilsners and changing a hop or yeast to see the difference in can make in a beer?

Good shout Grimmer. I will be using 34/70 with Saaz & Hallertau with my Pilsner.

I am keen to do a lager though aswell - what other hop would be good to use other than Saaz or Hallertau?

I am a big fan of hallertau. What sort of lager where you aiming for?

I am a big fan of hallertau. What sort of lager where you aiming for?

A clear, crisp one that is easy to throw down.

This will be my first lager so not 100% on best styles. Potentially a Euro or an American like Samuel Adams.

Latest posts

Back